polyimide formula

hi would someone be so kind as to tell me what the chemical formula of polyimde (vespel) is. an internet search produces c22h10n2o5 from some sources and c22h10n2o4 from other sources (which seem mostly related to some nasa project). being merely a physicist i'm somewhat confused now. thx for your help

frank

Reply to
fschwamm

not too much i'm afraid. as i said, i'm a physicist and my knowledge of chemistry is somewhat limited, but this link of yours gives me a third formula for polyimide: c14h9no2 (or o3 - whatever that extra oxygen means...). sort of adds to the confusion...

Nonetheless i found a structural formula giving the polymer chain in the link below

which gives the c22h10n2o5 version on the first page, so that's probably what i'm looking for - but still some confusion remains...

frank

Reply to
fschwamm

The chemistry is good but structure may not be exactally that of Vespel. It is an all aromatic polyimide but the acid and amine moieties may be different. There is/was a grade of Vespel that is/was an aromide. What ever, DuPont does not disclose the actual chemistry. Frank Sr.

Reply to
Frank Logullo