Polycarbonate

I need to glue or bond two pieces of polycarbonate forms together. The bond needs to be very strong since it will carry considerable loads. Is there a procedure or a strong gluing or bonding method for this?

Another question, if I want to melt and reuse drink water bottles made of polycarbonate, how could I do that? What would be the melting point of this polymer?

Reply to
Webmaster

shurely are there diffrent methods, but what is very strong and which loads? Is there a chence to change the construction? what is about the opticakl properties of teh bonding?

the melting point will be lower than the melting point of the original Material... But nobody can Tell you 184°C or so..

nobody knows if there was used regenartete PC for the bottles and nobody knows haow the bottles was made...

Michael I am not a bug I am a undocumented feature

Reply to
Michael Erwerle

It is not easy to guess the loads yet. But I can tell, if the bond is near the strength of the original polycarbonate, it is what I would prefer.

Construction can be changed.

Optical properties: I prefer the bond to be transparent as the polycarbonate. But if this is not possible or not strong enough, it is not a necessity, thus optically, the bond can be anything.

Thank you so far for the help

Reply to
Webmaster

Are you sure that your jars are polycarbonate? Polycarbonate will dissolve in metheylene Chloride, so the test strips should show signs of softening and be very gooey in a short time, like a few minutes. Have you done a test to be sure you are working with polycarbonate?

Reply to
Billy Hiebert

How can I do a test? Maybe you are correct. I will continue to use metheylene Chloride on different ones and see what comes.

Thanks

Reply to
Webmaster

Dichloromethane (methylene chloride) is higly volatile. The popping sound you're hearing are due it's vapours.

If you leave a CH2Cl2 bottle open and look carefully, you'll see some kind of mist coming of the bottle. It's the difference between teh refraction indexes of air and CH2Cl2 vapours.

If you didn't know the stuff written above, you should now go get a book or a MSDS for this solvent, once this is toxic and will make you *high*

Reply to
João Antonio

Reply to
timeoff