Gluing

Since I am new to the group and working on my first model, I have a question. What I am doing is painting the parts of the car first, and then taking them off the template. I am having trouble getting the glue to stick and stay. I have read that I should scrape the paint of the glued area first and was wondering if that was correct. Thanks for any help, and if some feel this is a stupid question I apologize, I am still learning, and those that feel that way will get over it! We all have to learn somewhere! I am very hooked!

Rusty

Reply to
Rusty Unger

Rusty, I think you answered your own question: to adhere and properly bond the plastic together the glued surfaces must be cleaned of paint, oils (from fingers, etc.), dust and so forth. Otherwise any bond that does form will be very weak and likely come apart. Hope this helps.

TF

Reply to
T. Forward

If you're using a solvent-based glue (Testor's, Tenax, etc.) you need to be sure there's nothing between the two pieces of styrene you're trying to bond. Grease, chrome, paint or pretty much anything else will get in the way and should be removed from the gluing surface. If you're bonding non-like materials (e.g., plastic to metal) the solvents won't work at all. Cyano acrylic glue (CA aka superglue) and epoxy are alternatives where a solvent won't work.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hi Rusty...

The template you refer to is the sprue, but what you describe is one method of painting.

Personally, I prefer to paint the parts off the sprue. I can't can't see the point of painting on the sprue, then removing the parts, cleaning up the attaching points, and then repainting those sections. Having said that, it is applicable for some stuff (spray cans and small parts for example) but it's not my choice.

Which glue are you using? I like the Revell Pro-contacta in the blue bottle with the needle like applicator.

Yes, that is the correct procedure. Just remove sufficient paint for the glued area. If you are using acrylic paints (and some enamels) you can cheat and let the glue eat through the paint but there is the chance of mess and weak joints.

No need to apologize for asking. However, if you start asking what is the best airbrush expect screams of exasperation. It's the most often asked question, which has no real answer beyond personal preference.

Excellent attitude. If you're specifically a car modeler may I suggest you visit

(Toms Hobby Heaven) and check out the message board. Lots of real expert modelers there, along with a nice mix of everything from beginner to wannabe expert.

Reply to
The Raven

You could do worse than to start with our FAQ:

. That should keep you busy for a while! ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski