PC viscosity

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to increase the viscosity of a CD or DVD grade PC? The normal MFI of such material is 60-80 for CD, and 80-100 or higher for DVD; too high for many injection moulding applications. This is for recycled CD material, on industrial scale.

Regards, Wouter van Marle

Reply to
Wouter van Marle

I do not know if they cap polycarbonate but if end groups are hydroxyls, something might work on them. For example if diphenyl isophthalate were added with a good vacuum during screw extrusion, phenol would be eliminated and mol. wt. would increase. If end groups were something like acetate, pure isophthalic acid might work. Another way to increase melt index is addition of a trifunctional material to give a little branching but too much branching can lead to gel formation.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I believe he is looking to reduce his MI...(I'm sure this is just a typo, the description fits ;-)

Reply to
L Alpert

I am indeed looking for ways to possibly reduce the MFI (so increase viscosity - which indeed will happen with some branching and so). The factory isn't there yet I have to say, I hoped to find some experience with the matter here, see if it's possible and how it could be done.

Wouter.

Reply to
Wouter van Marle

Dear Wouter Van Marle: there is a solution to this problem. The key is to use a product on the market for five years now and based on molecular modification of the melt of the PC at extremely low processing temperatures. Its called Celapan 606C and is being used for recycled PC for DVD disc in China for some time. The product harmonizes the melt of all the recyclate while stabilizing the matrix from further melt degradation and discoloration and while allowing the processer to drop processing temperatures for IM significantly from the range of

290-300C to 250C.

Regards Joe Webster PS this product is from Phoenix Plastics Company in Conroe Texas

Reply to
magicjoe