Oil viscosity units

I sincerely hope that one (or more) of you can answer this seemingly simple question.

Domestic heating oil is known variously as paraffin, kerosene and

28-second oil, and diesel fuel as 35-second oil. I have always assumed that the numbers 28 and 35 referred to some system of viscosity measurement, but which one? Google isn't terribly helpful, other than to tell me that there are more systems of measuring viscosity than I ever dreamt of!

TIA

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Vaguely how long it takes a given quanity of the oil to flow through a given sized hole in a given container at given temperature. Not sure if the head of oil above the hole has to be maintained or not and what all those "givens" are I haven't clue...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think this method of viscosity measurement is the Redwood scale.

In message , Peter Scales writes

Reply to
John Ambler

As far as I know it is the time taken for a specific measure of fluid to flow through a calibrated standard oriface. Therefore, 28 second heating oil is an expression of viscosity relating to the time it takes for the volume of fluid to flow through that oriface.

Regards David

Reply to
David McC

Having consulted a book or two I can confirm John's thoughts. The Scale is Redwood 1 at 100 degrees F. In 1938 "...so-called diesel fuels had viscosities in the range 40-100 secs and Gas Oils were 35-45 seconds....". Source - Shell Petroleum Handbook. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

AFAIK its the Redwood measurement.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

In message , Peter Scales writes

Many thanks to all who answered - Redwood seems to be the consensus.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

|The Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) scale is apparently the time it |takes for a steel sphere to fall a given distance within the sample fluid. |The units are apparently "pascal /seconds" and according to |"Etherington&Roberts" the value can vary 2% per degree C.!

I think you mean pascal seconds. (pascal/seconds indicates pascals divided by seconds, pascal seconds is pascals multiplied by seconds). The unit of dynamic viscosity is pascal seconds.

Reply to
use_reply_to_address_but_not