'flat top' piston two-strokes

Anybody know when this style of engine came into use in UK? I had assumed that the technology, which originated in Germany, did not reach these shores until after WW11 along with other 'spoils of war' such as the Bristol car engine. (see

) However while searching for more info about the Mar-Vil, I found that Villiers was using flat top pistons pre war in such models as the Junior De Luxe autocycle engine.

BTW. Another discovery was that the name Mar-Vil was also used by Villiers for the smallest of a range of petrol camping stoves they manufactured - are you still out there Martin?

Reply to
Nick H