More oil

It's just occurred to me, after taking delivery of transformer oil, that I have about 70 litres of straight SAE 90 from Morris's sitting in my shed. Two drums of 25 litres unopened and one drum with about 5 litres missing. It was originally bought to top up the gearbox/hydraulics of an old Nuffield tractor, which was sold before the oil got used. I can't match Peter's magnanimity and offer it free, but a tenner a drum? The original price (trade) from Morris's was about a hundred quid with VAT for the lot. I'll deliver locally (25 mile radius of Whitchurch, Shropshire) or can drop off en route from there to Maidenhead, Berkshire via M40 or M6/M1.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

I'll have a drum please for my munga gear box and rear axle. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Pete,

what is the GL classification of your SAE 90 please??

Tim. (Craven Arms)

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In message , "Tim (Remove NOSPAM." writes

GL? Gay-Lussac? I don't suppose so, but it's all that springs to mind... Will it be written on the drum? If so, I'll go to the shed in the morning and make a note of it.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

In message , R L Driver writes

Tried replying via email - let me know if you want it dropped off or wish to collect.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

In message , "Tim (Remove NOSPAM." writes

GL 1

OK, I now know that GL stands for Gear Lubricant.

From Morris Lubricants website:

"AG 90, 140, 250 AG Gear Oils are a range of mineral oil based lubricants, formulated without extreme pressure (EP) additives. These oils have good natural film strength, anti-foam performance and long term stability.

AG Gear Oils are suitable for use in equipment where the manufacturer specifies a non-EP lubricant. Applications include: manual gearboxes (e.g. Eaton/Fuller, Volvo), axles, worm gear drives (e.g. GKN), oil lubricated bearings, reduction gears/hubs, chains, steering boxes, king pins, etc. Additionally, AG Gear Oils are safe for use in transmissions that contain phosphor-bronze components. This makes them ideal for classic and vintage cars, motorcycles, tractors, traction engines and commercial vehicles.

API GL1"

"A.G. 90 Straight Mineral Gear Oil SAE 90"

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Ahh! Friad its not of a high enough spec for farm use around here- most g/boxes specify at least a GL4 nowadays- would be ok for something like a steering box, or low speed, low torque, big geared 'box though i would have thought..

Cheers anyhow :)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.