Wico A intro date?

Found the following:-

Dated (on last page) 1939. Is this when the type was introduced?

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Nick,

I seem to remember Petter A engines came with Wico A mags from the start. That would make the intro during or pre-1936, when the Petter A came out.

The earliest engine I have with a Wico A on is a 1942 Bamford EV. The Petter A is 1943.

I feel sure that group posters will have earlier Wico A engines out there. Someone will know the date the mag was launched.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Thank's Arthur. I'm just trying to work out whether I can justify one on my other Scott (SE) which would be around early to mid 30's. Original equipment was apparently Lucas N or BTH (MC?), but by happy chance my sort-out purchase includes an impulse unit with 20 tooth chain sprocket attached which would be just the job.

Reply to
Nick H

would make the intro during or pre-1936,

Someone will know the date the mag was

Wico have had a few owners over the years, my earlier service/spares manual has a Wico A instruction, Revision #1 dated January 15th 1945, they were part of Globe-Union in those days.

The other, later book is 1980's, when they were owned by Prestolite Division of Allied Automotive who went on to become Allied-Signal. In the back of that one is a reprint of the 1945 Revision #1 document...

The Wipac Master Catalogue is produced by the Buckingham based company and covers Wico A magnetos manufactured in the UK, some of which were from parts shipped from the USA.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

What was /is the relationship between American Wico (nee Witherbee Ignitor Company) and UK Wipac (nee Wico-Pacy)?

Reply to
Nick H

I can settle this question. I've just heard back from Martin Percy, and I must say it the date is earlier than I expected.

Wico A magnetos first appeared in 1927.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

hiya chaps, as you know i collect only petter A & W type engines, these as mentioned futher up came originally came with Wico Series A magneto's.

I have looked thoruhg my collection of literatue and i have a wico booklet unfortunately the back page is missing thus being no date, although im sure david eddington would happily tell you,

instead im gonna write down all my magneto serials numbers, then maybe you cvan work out if i have an early one, any help, ill state which rotation they are as well

thanks, Martyn sorri i cant help anymore

Reply to
Martyn Butler

Wow! That is a surprise, but Martin does know his mags.

Reply to
Nick H

That is very early, although the National I have just bought has one on, and I believe it to be all original. It has a date of 1929 stamped on the crank, so could be correct. Will get the serial no and we can see who can find the earliest. Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
Martin Hirst

"Peter A Forbes" wrote (snip) :-

1977 edition of "Who owns whom" lists Wipac Group (Holdings) Ltd. as the parent company in UK, with with subsidiaries including Wipac Ignition Ltd and Pacey (sp?) & Co. Ltd. No overseas parent is shown.
Reply to
Nick H

The company has been through a few phases:

Witherbee Igniter Company became Wico Electrical Co in 1917.

Stayed independent as far as I can tell up until 1958 when it merged with Globe-Union.

Globe Union was eventually acquired by Johnson Controls in 1978.

Prestolite Corp got it's hands on it some time after that presumably, as Johnson Controls have no mention of Wico anywhere.

Allied-Signal (Automotive Division) owned Prestolite which almost went bust in

1988 (after they were out of Allied-Signal)

The Prestolite Wico spares operation was based in Toledo, Ohio, but it seemed to be dying on its feet by then, and a big listing of discontinued parts is in the service book (early to mid 1980's)

Wipac produced Wico gear under licence, and their own range of mainly motorcycle and car accessories, but the 'Pacy' name I have no information on.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

CTP-Wipac was formed when Wolseley PLC sold Wipac out of its own group to an Italian plastics moulding company who make mobile phone aerials, headlights etc etc.

Wolseley plc is purported to be the same group that Wolseley cars and Wolseley engines were made by years ago...

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

Not likely, as the original Wolseley company went bankrupt in 1927 And William Morris acquired the assets and reformed the company..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes, I did say 'purported' :-))