After run oil - Which one to use?

I am a newbie. Once I am done flying. I make sure sure I burn all the fuel in the engine and then use a good amount of after run oil. I find commercial after run oil too expensive at $2+ for a few ounces.

I have been told that several alternatives can be used: Automatictransmission oil, Marvel air tool oil, and Starret tool and instrument oil.

What should I use?

I have an OS .46 engine.

Reply to
Denis Leveille

ATF and most any air tool oil will work fine. You need more than a few drops in the glow plug hole for it to work. a half teaspoon ful in the carb and let it run into the crankcase then spin the prop a few times with the starter.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I use Break-Free(r) happily, but in these times, I must hasten to add that should not be considered to be a recommendation, may cause your hair to fall out, your dog to run away, etc., etc.

Reply to
John Miller

Marvel Air Tool Oil - recommended by Clarence Lee.

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Denis --

Noted engine Guru C. F. Lee has for years recommended the use of Marvel Air Tool Oil as an after-run. He also suggests a 50/50 mix of MATO and Auto Trans Fluid (ATF) for long term storage. However, most important of all is to run your engine dry at the end of the session before the after-run.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

Read the label on the fuel you are using. Omega/Cool Power now recommend that NO aftger-run oil be used because their fuels contain enough lubricants to sufficiently coat the important parts. I stopped usinf after-run during the season - I normally fly once a week - and I have noticed that the engine runs-up faster when cold and doesn't smoke like crazy when first started for the day. I do, however still use some after-run if I know it will be sitting for an extended period, generally more than two weeks.

Reply to
rcflyer620

"Charlie Funk" wrote in message news:d5ntmd$ini$ snipped-for-privacy@news.valueweb.com...

I use Marvel Air Tool Oil. Don't use it in a YS unless it is of the synthetic based oil.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Just be sure you use fuel with plenty of castor, 20% of the oil, or more. Using after run oil that will not mix with our fuel can actually cause corrosion. Else lube the engine with castor oil after flying.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Leaving unburnt fuel in engines will cause corrosion. It's important to burn off the fuel at the end of the day, and while the engine is still warm.

Reply to
C G

So true.

Running a good quality fuel and burning off excess (glow engines) at the end of the day actually alleviates the need for after-run oil for short term storage. I don't bother with after-run oil unless it is going to be a few months before I fly again.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

don't use it. Never have, never will. I have engines that are 30 years old....have been in unsealed storage for years, and run just fine. As far as I'm concerned it's much ado about nothing.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter