Are os LA's ABC engines??

This is the Question. I have a peeled .25 la and people from my local hobby shop tell me that I am wrong because la's are not abc engines.

Is it true?

Thanks

Reply to
yatedigo

Looking at my brand new, never run 40LA....it appears to be ABC.

No mention in made in the manual but I clearly see alloy and brass with what appears to be a chrome plating.

I'm not about to pull it apart to check, nor am I really bothered if it's ABC, ABN, or something else. Suffice to say that OS engines are more than acceptable.

Reply to
The Raven

As is often the case, hobby shop clerks and even owners don't know jack about that they sell, and will tell you anything to sell more.

Although the OS website doesn't specify, Tower lists the OS .25LA as an ABC engine, and from my experience, that is correct. It could certainly peel. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

For a definitive answer drop an e-mail to OS at snipped-for-privacy@greatplanes.com and also check out their web site for warrenty info.

Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

They are not ABC by the way the don't use crome, but the cheaper Nickel

So they are ABN engines. This peeling has been a long time issue wit OS engines.

Mik

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

How long? FP engines? are the FP engines ABC or ABN

-- skid296

----------------------------------------------------------------------- skid2964's Profile:

this thread:

skid2964

Most all OS engines are ABN, not ABC. Nickel is softer than chrome, but it creates less environmental pollution in the manufacturing process. It's plenty tough enough to last a long time, though. Webra is ABN also.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

You're right. Tower Hobbies lists the LA as a ABN engine. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

What is the purpose of them telling you it's not an ABC? Does it have anything to do with warranty work?

If it's peeling it doesn't matter if it is ABN or ABC or what ever. The LA series is a bushed bearing, non-ringed (Lapped) engine as opposed to an engine that has a ring(s) on the piston and ball bearings on the crankshaft.

Personally, I have never cared how the engine was made as long as it runs right. Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

You should find a hobby shop that knows a little more about what it sells. Strictly speaking, they are not ABC since the plating is nickel, not chrome, so they should be called an AB(P)N, the (P) for Peeling! This is a common theme for OS engines of the past decase or so.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I agree with Dan. My .46 LA is in its 3rd plane, and while its no powerhouse, it runs flawlessly and always has. Considering the dusty conditions at my field, I dont even want to think about how much dirt it has ingested.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I think not. I've owned OS engines for over 15 years, and only in the past 2-3 years have I heard of the peeling problem. None of my OS engines have ever displayed this problem. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Hey Dr1Drive! This issue was popular back in 1999 with the .46 FX. I remember lots of banter on this group back then.

Robert

Dr1Driver wrote:

Reply to
RBarkus

Current OS LAs are ABL which is OS's acronym for Advanced Bimetalic Liner 'Plating Technology'.

Essentially it is a silicon alloy ringless piston fitted into a brass tapered bore coated with a dual nickel-alloy coats.

Your LHS 'expert' is wrong.

Reply to
jl seagull

ABN, though OS still referred to them in their advertising as ABC. Whatever composite (nickalloy ?) they were, they (well mine certainly didn't) peel.

The infamous 'peeling' as a quasi de rigueur occurrence started with the introduction of the OS .46FX. An initial policy of denial didn't assist their reputation, such that the trust once synonymous with the name OS has yet to be restored.

Reply to
jl seagull

OK, 5 years, but who's counting. :) I agree with another poster that the problem seemed to begin with the introduction of the lamented FX series. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Well it has been going on for longer than that. They took significan heat for this issue on the .46 line of engines.

OS makes excellent easy running good power engines. I recommend the to sport users. There are others every bit as good as OS however - al without the peeling problem.

Mik

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

It was an issue with the original Hanno Special. People were really bitching about paying so much for the "name" and having quality issues. IIRC, that was the first engine they used the new ABN plating on.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

It appeared well before the 46FX. It was also an issue with the original Hanno Special.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Lapped????? I think not. Lapped engines had cast iron pistons running in a steel bore, as my experience goes.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH