Are os LA's ABC engines??

I believe "lapped" referred to the process of cold running the old cast iron piston engines on a bench with a lathe or drill chuck to break em in, sometimes using a polishing compound. Same as turning valves in their seats with a polishing compound. Known as "lapping" the valves. Therefore a lapped engine would be one that was broken in using that method.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Yep Paul I remember it on the Hanno engines as well - and that was some time ago.

Anyway - you would think a top notch company like OS should have it "figured" out by know.

Mike

Reply to
pda4you

A lot of these guys aren't old enough to remember true "lapped" engines. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Well, Ive read about em, but grew up with ABC engines. I do remember when mufflers were a novelty tho!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Why not? Fox still makes them!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hi Paul

I don't believe I referred to the 46FX in terms of it being the first ever occurrence? I qualified attribution of peeling liners in the 46FX as the start of the present widely held public perception of the issue "as a quasi de rigueur occurrence", which I think you'd agree is a reasonably accurate generalisation, insofar much as any generalisation can be accurate in accord with the formal rules of logic?

Much more importantly as you know the 46FX was a mainstream sport engine superseding the venerable 46SF, arguably their most prolific class in terms of R/C engine sales whereas the Hanno special was considered by the rank and file a special purpose high performance pattern engine in its class and time. Technology trial and teething problems if unwelcome, are not unexpected at that end of the envelope from time to time and disenfranchise a relatively minute demographic. Not the case with the ubiquitous "all things to all men" sport 46.

Importantly, whilst with every manufacturer at times there have been issues with individual engine models, the peeling liner issue with the

46FX was prolonged and widespread effecting a much wider and larger consumer demographic than the Hanno. In an act of consumate stupidity by OS, they further exacerbated the issue with a policy of initial denial and ABN proliferation for far too long before propagandising us that they'd now like us to forget that faux pas and behaviour and swallow the acronym ABL as now the newest 'bestest'(sic) thing since OS's steel guts Max 15 first hit town.

cheers

Reply to
jl seagull

Anyone know if the "peeling" has any connection with running maybe a bit lean and/or using a synthetic oil mix ? Or is it purely a quality issue ? What makes me wonder is the sheer number of LA type engines sold... surely if there was a lot of trouble with "peeling" there would ahve been a big outcry ?

Reg

Reply to
reg

We have several LA engines of various sizes and the ONLY failure came as the result of a high speed collision with a granite boulder. I have a .46LA that is on its 3rd plane, has ingested a horrible amount of dust and grit in the many hours of its lifetime, been in a couple of terminal (for the plane) crashes and is probably the most reliable engine I have. No peeling of any kind noted.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reg - the Hanno engine was a marvel of engineering. It was made to b

run very hard and to be a work horse.

I have run Rossi and MVVS engines lean (they are true ABC) and hav never had crome peel of anything. AFter many runs it will ruin the also however.

My point is not what guys are doing - we all abuse engines at som point, but IMHO OS had (have) and issue with sport engines today, and know for a fact that the .46's would peel after proper break-in an proper oil content. They even admitted the issue was on their side.

MIk

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

It appears to be a design issue more than anything else. Properly designed and applies, the nickel plating should last about as long as chrome. Teh fact that other manufacturers use it successfully is testament to that.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

And I still have some NIB OS-Max engines from 1970 that were very close to that. They had cast iron tops on aluminum pistons running in a steel liner.

Any>Why not? Fox still makes them!

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

True. They are nickle (ABN).

Reply to
Cisco Kid
Reply to
Justin Fielding

Actually, just stick with MDS and you WILL go wrong eventually.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh