Re: OS LA Engines..opinions?

A lot less painful than needle bearings in that application I should think

David

MK wrote:

.... > I have all cotton bearings............. > mk
Reply to
quietguy

I, like a lot of other flyers I believe, want a motor that is not temperamental, and lets one just fill the tank and go fly. When I wanted a cheapy engine that I wouldn't cry too much about if it went west (maybe down is south?) I bought an OS LA46. For my prized try-not-to-crash planes I use OS fx's.

For about the same money as the LA I could have bought a Super Tiger - certainly more power etc, but I've read too many complaints about them not idling, being hard to tune, and being a bit temperamental. While others report they have found them totally reliable, I just didn't want the hassle if I got a bad one.

For those with more experience and knowledge in the back art of glo motor tuning the STs might be a better choice, but for me just having a motor that starts every time, needs no retuning or adjusting from week to week, and has a good lifetime, is something that is worth sacrificing a bit of performance for (sorry about the grammar)

I suspect there are a lot out there that share my view - but if not, who cares

David

Robert Scott wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Everyone is different.... I try not to crash ANY of my models. I use Super Tigres almost exclusively on the smaller ones. I think 21 is the number of STs I have... no "bad ones" yet.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

The GMS .76 ringed used to be a great engine back when they were manufactured/imported by Mecoa. Dont know how they are now that Tower is importing them but I do know that the Mecoa GMS and the Tower GMS parts are not interchangeble at least where the cases, heads, cranks, bearings, and muffler parts are concerned. I think the liners, pistons and piston rings are. Got a GMS .32 thats a real screamer also but once again, it was purchased thru Mecoa.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Interesting site.. I learned a little bit about nitromethane.

Reply to
David Hopper

Perzactly!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I don't care either.

Most young'uns either know-it-all, or are proud of knowing nothing and want to keep it that way. Far be it from me to try to influence your thinking.

My only real gripe about the OS LA engines is the price. But that is for me. What you pay for them doesn't interest me in the least.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed,

Don't be too hasty to judge and assume "young'uns". I am Medicare age and I feel the same way about engines. Just for the record, I have 40 nitro flying planes with all different types, styles and brands of engines. I go to the field, fuel up and fly. I don't average tweaking a needle valve once per year per plane. In order to help accomplish that, I settled on one brand and type of fuel that I run in all my engines. I have flying buddies that tweak their needle valve every flight. They can't keep their hands off the needle valve.

Dan T.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

| >Read the pages -- they're interesting! (I love wikipedia ...) | | Interesting site.. I learned a little bit about nitromethane.

... and I've since updated the page on nitromethane a little bit :)

Really, it's not one of the better wikipedia pages. It could use a lot of work, a lot more than I did.

Reply to
Doug McLaren