RC ABC(ABN) ENGINES

Has anybody tried to nickleplate(re-nickleplate) an ABN engine that is low in compression but is not worn out otherwise(bearings etc.)I understand that an inexpensive method is called BRUSH PLATING but only deposits a very thin coating.

Reply to
clifton bell

Why would you want to put on something that has shown to be an inferior coating? You can have it hard chromed at an industrial hard chrome shop. The same people that do crank and camshfts. It will cost more but it will also last longer.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

For the cost of having the cylinder chromed and the piston re-fitted, couldn't he just buy an ABC engine? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You are right except for one minor problem. Is O.S. making any of those these days? Many don't know how to get acceptable performance from other brands with different carburetors. You know like the secret rotate the spray bar trick for Super Tigers.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yes, but he would be in the same position trying to recoat an ABN cylinder as well.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Performance Specialties makes true ABC piston and sleeve sets for many engines.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Brush nickel is soft and is generally used for anit corrosion coating not for a wear coating. Nickel co-deposited with approx 4-8 % phosphorous is used for wear coatings. They may be heat treated subsequent to deposition to improve wear resistance. This has to be done professionally at a price that you don't want to pay.

Reply to
<rg.toth

The plater I've used here in NYC to do architectural brushed (satin) nickel finishes on brass hardware (Hygrade in Long Island City) told me that the brushing is actually done before the piece is plated -- the plating is so thin that the brush marks show through. I can attest that I would not use this sort of plating for the innards of an engine: it does not seem to be a really hard finish, unlike chrome.

Reply to
Charles Wahl