Opinion on best size engine for a Sig LT-40?

Hey all

I am building my first plane, a Sig Kadet LT-40 kit, I am not too sure what engine and propeller would work best for this plane. I have been reading forums, newsgroups, reviews and just about everything I can find about engines, I live in Holland and OS, Irvine and Magnum engines are the most common ones, I decided to settle on an Irvine due to the fact that my local hobbyshop is an official Irvine dealer in Holland, caries lots of spares and has good knowledge of Irvine engines. But the question remaining is wich one, a .40, .46, or the .53 ?? I have read many opinions about it so I thought I would splash the question one more time and see what you all think.

Marcel

Reply to
What goes up must come dowowowowHOWN

Whichever one you want. They will all fly that plane just fine. Look ahead to the next possible use for the engine and make your decision based on that.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The Irvine .40 will be more-than-enough engine for this plane. Run an 11-4 prop. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

The OS 46FX is a perfect selection for this airplane, so whatever Irvine's equivalent engine is.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

On 10/21/2003 12:47 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

While the 40 is a nice engine its applications for planes other than a trainer MAY be limited.

The 53 is an excellent engine, however a trainer will be somewhat overpowered.

I would suggest the 46. It will provide all the power you will want/need in a trainer, yet still have more than enough power to handle your second (or more) plane.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

OS46FX or Thunder Tiger 46PRO.

11x6 prop

Reply to
Brad Lorance

Irvine .53.

You won't regret the extra power.

For training, loaf around at half throttle.

Get all you can out of the plane with the big engine after you learn to fly.

Then move it to a stick-type plane and have a ball.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Since the weight penalty for installing a .53 is zero, I would agree that going with the biggest engine and limiting the throttle to 1/2 on the trainer is the most reasonable way to go. However, adjust the carburetor to be properly lean at half throttle so that it does not run too cool and wear out prematurely.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I used a Thunder Tiger 46 on my Kade and it is a beautiful flyer. I'd suggest the 46. Mark

Reply to
Penguin254

Perfect....preferably an OS .46FX. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

NOT!

Reply to