Sig LT-40 in tail drager mode newbie question.

Hey all

I am concidering buying a SIG Kadet LT-40. It will be my second plane. But I have some experience flying a plane with a tail dragger. The LT-40 has tricycle gear but I would like to use a tail dragger configuration, but how do you work out exactly where the main landing gear should be. Logic tells met that it should probably be an inch or so in front of the centre of gravity. Is there some way to work out where it should be for optimum performance.

Marcel

Reply to
Marcel

Usually at or right in front of the leading edge is good.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

With the datum line level, drop a blumb - bob and the axles should be in line with the L/E of the wing. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

I've done this and it worked out very well to line up the center of the front wheels just a bit (1/2 inch) behind the leading edge of the wing. It worked great and was still a great flyer. One thing to bear in mind is that you will probably have to weight the front. moving the wheels forward takes care of some of the weight you've removed, but not all of it. maybe moving the mains forward some more will compensate for it completely, but I don't know. Good luck. Mark\

Reply to
Penguin254