Stripped HS55 output gear.

Yuss. I finally after three years of horrendous flying and crashing broke a tooth on a new HS55 output gear.

Lord knows how, the impact I assume was responsible was very slight..but maybe it went backwards into a tree or something.

It hasn't even stripped it in te 'neutral' position but more way up full aileron...

Anyway, I have necver had to striop an HS55, so what I would kindly request from thoise who have is

i) Is it worth it? Can I fix it or is it bin time?

ii) I assume the 4 little screws in the bottom of the case if undone result in the guts spilling out. Do they spring out never to be found again, in which case disassembly inside the bathtub seems indicated, or do they more or less stay where they are?

(iii) since ist almost certainly teh output gear, can I just rortate the output shaft to make sure the stripped part is never used again? Or is there some reason why it can only be assem,bled in the way it is now?...and if so

(iv) Are spare output gears available, and if so where in the UK? I have seen futaba gears, but not hitec in the LHS I think.

TIA

TNP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vance Howard

Vance, thank you for a complete answer to all the issues.

I will phone around and see who has em in stock.

Meanwhile I may have to rob one from another model.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Vance Howard

Nexus Modelling Supplies keeps gear sets for most hitec servos in stock. The only point to be aware of is that you're supposed to use a special grease in servos, but I've yet to find anyone stocking it, so carefully pick off the white grease from the old gears and inside the gear case with a screwdriver and smear it on the new set. The grease is white which does not look like the PTFE grease usually sold in model shops for plastic gears, so I've never taken a chance with it.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Vance Howard

ServoCity charges US $3.15, so you can use that as a gauge. Don't know if they'd be useful to you with the shipping charges, unless there is some other stuff you wanted.

Reply to
John Alt

Just to show off!

I have stripped gears in standard sized servos!!

and even (more torn than stripped) the output gear in a HS81 MG .

Both cases the frames are still flying today! 1# Foamie went through a tree and 2# Prodij caught a wingtip on the slope.

Brett

Reply to
Brett

Take a tip... whenever you buy a new type of servo, order a couple or more gear sets to go with them... if this is the first time you've stripped the gears out of a servo, you're either lucky or not trying hard enough!

PS, I hope you open the servo a bit more carefully than you type...:-)

Philip Rawson

philip-rawson

Yes. I ended up in a tree - very mild impact.

Strange impact. a former BEHIND teh battery pack showed damage.

Almost as if the model spun round and went in backwards, taking the ipmpact on the ailerons as well.

And indeed the fin was ripped of again seemingly by a 'blow from behind'. Such minimal damage I never thought to look at the servo till the pre-light check before launching after minor repairs.

Still had a good flight althoug full rate ailerons were not avaialable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course. No one pays me to write in Usenet. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Last week I replaced output gears in four HS-55's. It was fast and easy, so well worth the effort IMHO. One required the output gear and the one driving it, the rest just the output gear.

These servos were in use on a small UAV project, on which they tend to take a hit on less than perfect test fights as they are driving canards. I don't normally abuse gears that badly..

Mike D.

Reply to
M Dennett

I have ordered some spares from the LHS, as they were about to put in a Hitec order anyway.

I won't get much flying done thi sweek anyway - other priorities - and can swap out teh damaged one for a brand new one destned for another plane if the spares are slow.

I have to say, finding a brand of servo you like, and sticking to it does ease the spares problem....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher