Kyosho Calmato 40 Sports

I just purchased and assembled one of the Kyosho Calmato 40 Sports ARF planes. It went together with no problem and I balanced it with a GP CG machine.

The plane has tricycle landing gear and sits up on the gear with the tail lifted as it should, however, and this is my question.... I have noticed if I push the tail down to the ground it stays down and will rest on the tail end of the fuse (like a tail dragger). I checked the CG again to be sure and even with it set some nose heavy it will still rest on the tail if pushed down. I am using the CG listed in the instructions of 80~90 mm and obviously can make it overly nose heavy to counter this, but don't want to do that. Any one else noticed this in this model or should I be concerned about it? It seems like the wing mounted wheels should be an inch or two further back to better counter balance the plane to the front.

Reply to
larrysntx

Did you balance rightside up or upside down on the CG machine ??

Reply to
CJ

Flys well when assembled as per manual. Nose sits down with a full tank. Existing wheel position provides for good easy rotation on take off. Instead of flying off the deck gracefully, trike gear models with rear wheels to far back tend to leap off suddenly with a nose high attitude and may snap as excess ground speed is required to generate sufficient force over the tailplane to make the model rotate (raise the nose) for take off.

Regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Heard about this from another owner, so it seems to be "normal".

Question: When you take the landing gear, and look at the way it is built, i there a possibility to mount it "the other way around", so that th wheels are a bit more rear wards ?

Reason I am asking, is because there are some planes where you can d this. Juyst by rotating the landing 180 degrees, you can make a trik into a tail dragger. The wheels just move forward or rearward depending on how you mount the gear

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Thanks for the replies. To answer the questions:

1) I balanced it with the plane upside down as it shows in the picture on the CG machine box. 2) I understand what you mean about turning it around, but unfortunately the gear is a straight line from the end that goes into the hole in the wood to the wheel, everything is straight in line. 3) To the comments that this is normal and sits down with a full tank, what about on empty tank, I fear on landing if it bounces and may come in tail down.

4) I fixed it!! No extra weight to the front!! I just happen to have some spare gear from a World Models Sky Raider II that were laying right on the bench. I picked them up and looked and said no way!! They fit like a glove on the kyosho and are a little longer and angled back as was suggested in one of the responses above. It places the wheels about one inch back from the stock gear and that is exactly what it needed!! Now it will stay down to the front at all times, even if I push the tail to the floor it comes right back up. You might want to pass the word on this, it seems like a perfect fix. BTW the Sky raider II is a tail dragger with the gear fuse mounted, so it may be possible other trainer or wire gear may work as well. Thanks again to all who responded.

Reply to
larrysntx

Don't forget to re-balance it. And don't forget to re-read A.T.'s message above.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob