Help on Sig LT-25

I'm looking for the recommended control surface throws for the Sig Kadet LT-25. I had to rebuild mine after a neighbor, who claimed to be this hot-shot, ace rc pilot, stuck it into the ground. It's rebuilt but the manual has gone missing. Sig's web site doesn't seem to list recommended deflections for their planes. Thanks!

RCT

Reply to
RC Trost

You obviously needed to give him a faster airplane. Those hot shots can never fly trainers.

The last time I needed help from Sig it was only a phone call away -- I'd call or email them & see what happens.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Set it to deflect about 30 degrees, and closer to 40 degrees for the rudder. Go fly, and see if you like it like that.

This isn't rocket science. I have never set a throw, to anything other than, "that looks about right!"

Reply to
Morgans

Call Sig. Ask friend to reimburse you for the cost of replacement. If hotshot refuses cross him off! My policy when pranging someone else's bird is to *sincerely* offer to replace kit, ARF, etc. Fortunately, I've never bought the farm with someone else's bird but I make my policy very clear. Couple of months ago I was flying a friends composite 30% Extra - always two mistakes high. I didn't fly long because the cost of replacement was decreasing the fun level significantly ;-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I always offer my planes for others to fly, and I always assure them that if it breaks I can build another one. I think it's nice to let people fly something different so they have a better idea of what's out there, but most people are very reluctant because of the fear of wrecking something.

Ed Forsythe wrote:

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

In this case the guy claimed to be competent, and planted a trainer - which generally means the person is an idiot. I've seen that situation before first hand. If this is truly what happened the guy should most definitely replace things..

It is nice to offer an airplane to people have a go, as long as the situaiton is kept under control. I've let countless people fly my Slow Stick at the local community center, and RC old timers are another classic aircraft that, set on low rate, can be effortelssly steered around the sky by a newbie. My Viking has many green-thumb hours on it. At altitude of course..

MJD

Reply to
mjd

The guy talked a good story. All the flying he'd done including a Corsair, how he aced his neighbors flight simulator plus a heli he was flying in his garage and front yard with enough finesse to chase the neighbors cat. So when he wanted to go out flying with me, the assumption was that he would have no trouble with a trainer. Unfortunately the LT-25 was set up with flaperons so I was unable to use my 4 ch buddy box.

I've been flying for over 40 years and have let dozens of people fly my planes but this was the first guy who, after tossing the plane around for a couple minutes decided to shoot landings. I thought he was kidding until he set-up and attempted one. The approach got out of shape, banking to the right and apparently he added right rudder for a hard 3 pointer, wing tip, spinner & right wheel. The Kadet was modified with a bolt-on wing which assured major fuselage damage.

He took it in good humor, blamed me for not setting him up with a buddy box, but a couple days later offered to pay for the plane, although less than the kit price, IF I'd give it to him after rebuilding it. Yes, I know, "Sucker!". But he's a neighbor, cycling buddy and generally a decent person. There's a lesson in all this I suppose.

Reply to
RC Trost

I guess, though what that lesson is..

I was demoing rocket gliders at the AMA '93 homecoming in Muncie. In the evening some young hotshot (so he said) pilot asked to fly one. He did pretty well, didn't get spooked by the boost, but landing this now gentle 2 channel glider in dead calm in grass by the runway, cartwheeled my demo model and tore off the tailbooms.. sigh. End of demo flights, and any future trust in people's claims of flying prowess.. next time I'll believe it when I see it first.

Reply to
mjd