Ground Throws

Has anyone used the caboose Industries 220S electric ground throw?

Did you like it? Why, or why not.

Did you modify it at all? How?

Is there a better one on the market? What is it?

Did you build your own?

How?

I am looking to replace a number of ground throws with the electric ones.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

The ground throw must be assembled and one part gave me fits as how to position it with the contacts. In fact, I made a drawing of it for a web page that I could put back up again so others could quickly solve the problem. The throw is over scale for HO, but I believe it is the best unit one could have if your turnout frogs need to be powered.

Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Hi Phil from Marion Brasher Country 8^D

A friend locally used a couple of these to illuminate signals so he would know at a glance which track his 3-way turnout was aligned for. They are a somewhat fragile contact which makes them a bit iffy in reliability and operation. But they DO work.

"Paul [Kossart] - The CB&Q Guy" Modeling 1969 In HO In Peru, IL

Reply to
The CB&Q Guy

Any recommendations on a similar item that might be a bit sturdier and/or work more reliably?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Use a regular ground throw and a micro-switch.

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

OK... since I've never tried that before, how would you connect the two?

Thanks.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I can think of two ways.

  1. Lay the micro switch with the button or leaf so that when the GT is pulling the points towards it, the other end of hte pivot pushes the switch closed.

  1. make a hole in the benchwork and have the pivot push the leaf switch to close it.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Frank, I tried setting up seven Peco electrofrog turnouts with the frog switched by the ground throw. They were too unreliable for this purpose, and I ended up taking them out and using Tortoises.

The contact assembly has some slop when inserted in the base. Bending the spring didn't help because the material is not stiff enough to ensure contact. I tried shimming the contact assembly to force it closer to the moving part, but this didn't help much.

I spoke with the designer, and he said in the next run (he had thousands left to sell first), he planned to use a heavier spring.

Hal

Reply to
Hal Greenlee

I'll presume taht you used the little retainer behind the moving contact? While they seem a little flimsy, I thought they might be sturdy enough. Did you remove the spring or at least the tension from the peco switch? I can see that that could be a problem for a ground throw. I bought 3 to try at the club, and will see what happens.

I test mounted another three using the doll house electrical tape for the wiring. I will see how that works too.

Thanks for your input

He might sell more if he reduced the price. (G)

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum