Ground Throws

I have a small problem. I need to install a number of ground throws on two surfaces that do not hold nails well. One is homosote, and the other is foam. Does anyone out there have a trick for doing this?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Stanton

Jeff,

I had same problem mounting Caboose throws on my foam surface. My wife has some 2 inch quilting needles that fit through the two holes on the ground throw. They have round tips on them that I painted black to match the color of the throws. I shimmed the throw to make it level with the turnout arm and push the pins through the throw holes. A little Elmers holds the pins in place. Been in place for about six months and no problems. Will make it easy to replace if they break.

Keith

Reply to
Carolyn&Keith

Jeff,

Dab contact cement w/small brush. Can even be removed and the surfaces filled w/wood-filler and glue combination on homosote.

"Foam"... "fill" area LIGHTLY w/plastic model cement first. Dry. Then contact cement.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gagnon

Homosote is a excellent material for holding track nails. That is what I use to nail down ground throws. In fact I use homosote as a roadbed when nailing down track. Never had a nail come lose from homosote.

Fred Ellis

Reply to
Fred Ellis

ASSuming you've got wood backing underneath the Homasote or foam, as you should . . .

. . .Use longer nails.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Modeling 1969 In HO.)

Reply to
The CB&Q Guy

place a small amount of balsa glue on each nail or pin or for that matter into the hole used to secure the ground throw it should work as a packing agent in the hole and harden in the hole. I would use a small pair of pliers and notch the nails or pins to give them an irregular shape more for glue to harden over.

but thats what I'd do

Reply to
Michael

You could use hot glue for the homasote, but it will hold the track nails just fine.

You can use Latex Contact cement or Liquid Nails for Projects for the foam.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Ues a piece of basswood 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and larger than the base of the throw. Trace around it and excavate the foam so the wood sits down in it, and glue it in with hot-melt glue. Then mount the throw on the wood as normal.

I used a similar technique for mounting slide switches that I use for turnout control, power routing to the frog, and dwarf signals showing turnout position on my Bend Track modules... carve a hole in the foam the size of the switch, put the wired switch in place, then pump the hole full of hot-melt glue from the bottom. Provides strain relief for the wires and holds the switch in position.

Reply to
Joe Ellis