xu800 and geforce install problem

I'm having trouble installing a Geforce 5700 ultra video card in my HP Kayak XU800 system. I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. Bios 1A.11.10

I removed the drivers for the previous Matrox G400 card that I was using, swapped the cards but now when I boot up, the Windows login screen looks blotchy with bits of color and text out of place. When I try to login it hangs and locks up the machine. Tech support suggested another card and an upgraded power supply so I upped from

300W to a 550W power supply and a new card (same model) but I have the same problem.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem? Thanks!

Reply to
Kogi Kaishakunin

I'm not familiar with the exact specifications of your computer. But isn't the 5700 Ultra Video Card a new product and the HP Kayak a few years old? Perhaps the Kayak doesn't support AGP 8x which might be the specifications of the video card? Just a guess. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

The Kayak XU800 may have AGP2X slot which is not compatible with Geforce 5700 Ultra AGP8X.

Reply to
btp

Yeah, the XU is a 2000 model. I switched to an ATI Radeon 9600XT but now all the text I see seems less clear than it was with the Matrox. I'm still trying to run that down.

But Win2K just DID NOT like the Nvidia. It even hung up going into safe mode.

Thanks for the help though.

Reply to
Kogi Kaishakunin

Nope, AGP is backwards compatible. Check your bios for your AGP settings, maybe you'll find something there.

Also try to boot in safe mode, clean your system of old drivers, set card to standard VGA and reboot. Then try to install new drivers.

300W for a standard PC with 'big' graphic card shouldn't be a problem. Unless you got 4 HDD's spinning, DVD and CDROM and overclocked you memory and CPU.

Good luck.

Reply to
Count Zero