GeForce 6800 Ultra

Does anyone use the GeForce 6800 Ultra video card? does it work good, any issuses?

We want to try 1 since they are cheaper tha quadro's but have 256mg ram and are powerfull

thanks for any feed back Greif

Reply to
greif

Greif,

256 megs of video ram won't benefit you much with SW. 128 is all that's really needed, even with Photoworks. Modern 3D games (which is what the card is meant for) "do" need alot.

Unless you can hack the driver to use a unified back buffer, SW OpenGL will only be able to use a small portion of it anyway. This is one of the reasons you get multiple window slowdown with Geforce cards.

I don't know about you, but when I'm working on an assembly, I might end up with twenty windows open after an hour. Geforce cards tend to start slowing down with about three, and come to a dead stop with five or six. The Quadros don't have this problem.

How much is your time worth ???

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

I use a GeForce 6800 Ultra at home. No problems encountered, but I don't open more as 4 windows at a time. \/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

This product is for games not professional application like CAD programs...

I recommend you buying NVIDIA Quadro / 3D Labs WildCat / ATI Fire GL.

Reply to
Jerry.J

I'm using a 6600GT with no problems. When people are talking about open windows is that windows in view? or SWx windows in the background? I keep up to maybe 5 SWx windows open in the background. Personally, I'd like to know the difference in how these cards handle photoworks and animation and if they compare to the workstation cards in that regard. We need a decent benchmark other than that cryptic one that is out there.

Reply to
Dannyboyy

SPECapc is a good benchmark for graphics cards. So is Ship in a Bottle.

Reply to
TOP