Re: Sig LT-40 Help

The first few times I used CA and that was enough! The fumes will kill you and you have NO time to work with the fiberglass. I now use white (wood) glue or epoxy and have never had any problems. Make sure the wood glue or epoxy squeezes through the fiberglass and then wipe down. If you want, you can cover the fiberglass with Balsarite to make sure the Monokote will stick. Just my 2 cents worth.

Don

> I'm about to apply the fiberglass reinforcement strip to the wing and I > wanted to get a bit of advice. The manual says to use thin CA but my > LHS said I should use alphaic resin (yellow glue). Any comments/ideas > on the best way to apply this. > > I still need to cover the wing so I don't want issues with the monokote > not sticking to the CA. thanks. > > > -- > spasticfish > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------- > Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. > Visit us at
View this thread at rcgroups.com:

Don and Marion

My favorite method is epoxy. They make a "laminating" type especially for fiberglassing that's thinner than most. Spray a bit of 3M 77 or other spray adhesive on the fiberglass to make it tacky so it will stick to the balsa and wrap the wing center section. Then, mix the epoxy resin and hardner and apply it to the fiberglass using an old credit card as a spreader. Epoxy is a bit heavy and more doesn't add strength, so some modelers roll a roll of toilet tissue to soak up any excess. You can fill the weave with some lightweight spackling compound and sand it smooth.

Morris Lee

Morris Lee

Use slow-set (30 minutes or more) epoxy. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I used a combination of the CA and epoxy on mine. I used the CA to tack the cloth on and then used 30 min epoxy to seal the fibergalss to the wing. I used Tower Coat (never again) and it is still stuck there. The wing has had a couple of cartwheel landings and is still doing just fine.

Reply to
Black Cloud