What to use to clean epoxy of brushes...

I'm about to Glassfibre a fuselage in stages... what do I clean the brushes with??

Reply to
Thomas

I use Meths... it takes uncured epoxy off anything.

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

You don't clean them , you use cheap brushes and throw them out.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tom Watson

You have 2 choices.

  1. Use cheap brushes and toss them.

  1. Use acetone to clean them. (PITA, also acetone is not one of the better things for your body.)

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Use cheap acid/flux brushes (about 15¢ apiece) clean them with acetone (careful), denatured alcohol, methylated spirits and toss when they become unusable.

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

alcohl will clean UNCURED epoxy from the brushes. (once its cured.

Jasco paint and epoxy remover... its mean stuff... avoid it.

-- fhhuber50677

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fhhuber506771's Profile:

this thread:

fhhuber506771

Acetone doesn't really clean it very well. Denatured alcohol is THE solvent for epoxy.

Reply to
jim

Yeah, if you don't clean it before it hardens or even begins to thicken, just toss the brush!

View this thread:

jim

Methyl Hydrate is what West Sysems recommends. I use it for all epoxy clean up. Brushes, fingers, thinning etc. Only works if the epoxy is still liquid though. Cheap and very little smell. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

In many situations, the cost of the solvent is higher than the cost of the brush.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Hahahha. Good one Ed and absolutely true!

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Robert Bauer

I prefer acetone or dope thinners and a good wash in wshing up liquid afterwards.

Once set, the brush is irrecoverable BTW.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why bother? That's a lot of work if you ask me. I just use foam brushes they are cheap (box of 12 for $7) and they give a very smooth finish.. I sometimes use the little acid brushes for small stuff, they are even cheaper (box of 48 for less than $5). The time and solvent it takes to clean them just isn't worth it to me. You can get them anywhere, but I get mine at at

Chris W

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Reply to