Greatplanes Triton vs AstroFlight 110D

I narrowed down my choice to one of these. Anybody have any pro or cons with either? I'm only going to charge Ni-cads and Ni-Mh batteries.

Thanks

Reply to
Turd Ferguson

I can't speak for the AstroFlight, but I can tell you the Triton has worked very well for me. It gives you a wide choice of operations and will charge Lead Acid and LiPos. I use it all the time at home to cycle and at the field to rapid charge for flying. v/r Jerry

Reply to
BRAVO52

I have the Astroflight 112D and it is a fine charger. When I bought it, Li-Poly's where not on the scene. Up till now I did not intend to use Li-Poly so it looks like I need to buy a charger that will handle Li-Poly. My point to you is I have about three chargers that were all I needed at the time I bought them. As needs arose, I bought the next charger. Had I bit the bullit and bought the 112D the first time, I wouldn't have three chargers. You only need Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh today but plan for tomorrow especially if it don't cost any extra.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

My 110 D peaks at too high of a voltage drop for Ni-Mh batteries. Got to stop them manually when they get warm.

Get the GP.

Reply to
Dirtnap

But just for the record, the AstroFlight is one hell of a workhorse for the high cell-count packs. I own lots of chargers and the Astro is the oldest, but still use it a lot>

Reply to
Dirtnap

I have a 110D that false peaks a lot. I'm getting rid of it.

Reply to
jeboba

The Triton has great reviews, but the deciding factor for me would be the ability to charge lithiums. If you stay in this hobby you will be charging lithiums, probably sooner than you think.

Now if you had asked for opinions on a lithium specific charger, I'd have pointed you to the astroflight one due to it's ability to charge at much higher capacities.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

My 112D false peaked a lot also. If the van was running it worked fine. If you check, the 112D will peak out if the input voltage decreases. That was my problem.

It seems Chrysler products only charge a battery to 13.3 volts. My Van and Grand Cherokee are the same. I have checked other members Chrysler vans and they were the same. I believe Chrysler puts in a battery that is about twice the size needed and only charges it to about 50%. This insures a true no maintenance battery. My Mazda pickup charges to 14.2 volts.

Using an AC power supply, the 112D works fine also. So now I just let the car run while charging.

I suspect your 110 has the same problem.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Are these chargers the new style "DX" or the old style "D". I heard new style doesn't false peak on Ni-Mh like the old style does.

Reply to
Turd Ferguson

interesting. FWIW my 112d rarely falsepeaks and I charge from my chrysler vehicle at the field.

after a couple of years of abuse on the packs I see the odd pack start to false peak, but that's it.

ditto for the two analog 112 astroflights I have.

never owned a 110 though.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

I should have added that it false peaks at a 5 Amp charge rate. If I charge at less than 5 amps it appears OK, what little I have tested it. I do a 21 cell

2400 ma pack and rarely charge less that 5 amps. Just takes too long.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Mine is the 112D, not the DX

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

great tip. I'll try that. I think my chevy battery's getting a little weak also.

Reply to
jeboba

that explains it then...Used to charge at 4.5 amps with my arc welders a few years ago, but nowadays two amps is pretty much the max with my smaller planes.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

When for the Triton at the LHS for $120 + tax. I borrowed a 110D from a friend over the weekend, and it heated up my Ni-Mh's too much. Ni-Cd's were ok There was no selection for Ni-Cds or Ni-Mhs cells, or threshold. I also like the battery "cycling" feature on the Triton.

Reply to
Turd Ferguson