GP Triton charger

Hello, Last night i brought a GP (Electrifly) Triton (NIB) from my LHS. (may by a big mistake..... ..) I tried to cycle my transmitter NiHm battery (directly out of transmitter) and after discharging>delay between disch. and charging> i received this error "open circuit" All connection is perfect, not cable defect, improper plugs etc. I tried also the direct charging function and after battery checking a loud bip and the same error on screen.

My procedure was incorrect or this charger is defective. !!!!!

Need help !!!!!!!

Reply to
Dino Solomon

Why would you want to cycle a NiMH battery? Most recently mfgr'd NiCDs don't need cycling....

Reply to
Arne

There is probably a diode in the transmitter charge circuit. This would have to be bypassed in order to charge directly through the transmitter jack. Instructions for by passing the diode for some transmitters may be seen at:

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Yep the triton is awesome, but you very likely have a Diode tha

prevents discharge from the charge port. Just remove the battery fro the TX

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

I vote for diode too... prevents discharge, not charge

-- Lomceva

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Lomcevak's Profile:

this thread:

Lomcevak

| Why would you want to cycle a NiMH battery? Most recently mfgr'd NiCDs | don't need cycling....

Cycling is a good way to determine the remaining capacity of a battery, which is a good thing to know. While you're flying is not a good time to learn that your battery only has 20% of the original capacity left.

| If near enough, why not take it back to the LHS and see what they have to | say.

| > Hello, Last night i brought a GP (Electrifly) Triton (NIB) from my | > LHS. (may by a big mistake..... ..) I tried to cycle my | > transmitter NiHm battery (directly out of transmitter) and after | > discharging>delay between disch. and charging> i received this | > error "open circuit" All connection is perfect, not cable defect, | > improper plugs etc. I tried also the direct charging function and | > after battery checking a loud bip and the same error on screen.

Open Circuit means that the charger is not seeing the battery. A diode could cause that as Red has suggested, but the Triton CAN charge (not discharge, though) through a diode. You said the problem happened at charge rather than discharge? Perhaps something broke at that moment.

I assume the charger has a fuse or two inside, perhaps that blew? (I've never opened mine up.) If so, you'll probably want to send it back for repair rather than void your warranty.

Try to cycle your receiver pack, see if that works.

| > My procedure was incorrect or this charger is defective. !!!!!

Well, you haven't said how you checked your cables -- it's possible that they're bad, though it's pretty unlikely.

| > Need help !!!!!!!

Well, as suggested, going back to the LHS isn't a bad idea, unless it's not so local.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Red,

He did state;

More likely an bad cell? --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Some chargers won't charge it either as they can't read the voltage the Triton won't at higher rates.

Mik

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

He said he charged it OUT of the transmitter! No diode there!

transmitter)

Reply to
jeboba

Did you remove the battery or leave it in the transmitter? If it's out of the transmitter, then it's either the charger or a bad pack. If in the transmitter, it's probably the diode as everyone here says.

Reply to
jeboba

In article , jeboba wrote: | He said he charged it OUT of the transmitter! No diode there!

Are you schizophrenic, or what? Right after this post, you make the same suggestion, and yet you're correcting Red now?

Actually, the Triton *can* charge through a diode -- it just can't discharge through it (which is to be expected.) Obviously it puts a small amount of current on the output port and then measures the voltage, rather than just measuring the voltage without any current.

Somebody suggested that it can't charge at high rates through a diode, which seems odd, but I'd suggest not trying -- running a lot of current through the charge circuit, which was designed to handle 100 mA at most, doesn't seem smart. It probably wouldn't fry the radio itself, but could certainly make sure that you have to remove the battery to charge if you fried the charge circuit. My radios seem to tolerate one amp through the charge circuit -- and I don't want to risk anything faster. If I need to charge them faster, I remove the battery.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Try charging the batter out of the transmitter. Most likely the diode in the tx is preventing the charger from seeing the battery. I have a Triton charger and its the best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I read that as the battery was installed in the tx and he is trying to cycle it thru the charging plug. Could be wrong.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Ok . Thank for yours try to help. Maybe my English is not very good / clear but my battery trans. pack was out of transmitter. I own a Futaba 9c and the pack have like servo connector with only two wire, one red and one black. I used the regular receiver charging cable.Not diode in this circuit.

The charger is defective and my LHS change it. The new one is OK. BTY, how can I know if this one have the improved / update software ?

Thank again for yours time.

Dino

Reply to
Dino

I have often wondered.... What was the best thing we had BEFORE the advent of sliced bread??

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Probably the buggy whip; Because before that you had to do a lot of shouting ;-\

Reply to
Mark Hansen

A sharp knife?

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Well let me just correct one statement I made. Yes the triton ca

charge with the TX battery inside the TX and the Diode in place. I will however terminate that charge when using higher charge rates mine does every time. Just an FYI.....

Mik

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

Mike, how high of a charge rate? I regularly charge my Futaba

(including a 9ZAP that has the diode built into the removable batter itself) at between C/2 to 1C at the field without problems (or so thought). Anyhow, I would very much like to become educated before put too much trust in that aspect of Triton use.

Thank

-- Lomceva

this thread:

Lomcevak

Dino, there's only one "improved/updated software" version I know of and it is indicated by a green dot stuck on the base of the Triton. Cheers from Oz.

transmitter)

Reply to
Clive Bendun