fuel soaked balsa

Hi how do you get the fuel out of balsa which methods do you fellow modellers use ? I had a pin hole in my fuel tank and it has pumped fuel into my fuse and the landing gear supports have let go on the supports. Fuel was 15% nitro seemed to eat through the dope , maybe it was not thick enough. Thanking you Dean (outback OZ)

Reply to
Dean & Melissa Williams

Use a match. Best if you do this outside ;-)

Reply to
Average Heli Person

I've getting good results with the following routine when repairing a monokote job:

  1. Clean off bulk of fuel with acetone soaked paper towel.
  2. Spray on K2R cleaner.
  3. Clean off K2R residue with acetone soaked paper towel.
  4. After balsa dries check to see if still oily. If so repeat steps 2 and 3.
  5. Assuming you can't get caster oil totally out, paint balsa with Balsarite.
  6. Cover with monokote.
Reply to
Ken Morano

Clean well with alcohol, I use the 91% found in drugstores, then apply K2r and let set for several hours. Repeat the k2r as required until it' clean. To keep wood from soaking up oil, get some yellow carpenters glue and thin slightly with watet and brush it on the wood. I've used this method for 20+ years and have never had it fail. I Always use it to coat my firewall and surrounding areas. It's as good as, lighter than and cheaper than epoxy

Reply to
jerry0

Does it really work as well as epoxy? TIA, Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

Dope is not fuel proof like other sealers. It is merely fuel resistant. That "hot fuel proof" that you used to see on the bottles (Pactra?) was referring to the exhause which had little alcohol or nitro left in the oily mess.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What is K2R? Can you get it in the UK or is there an equivalent?

Reply to
Jimmie Horne
  1. K2R Equivalents here are similar to Goddard's Dryvleaner - most of the cleaner type sprays that dry quickly to a white or light coloured powder which sucks the stains out of porous materials.

  1. Use brown paper and an iron = place brown paper over fuel soaked places and run iron over outside - use several times to suck the oil up like paper sucks up the fat in a packet of Fish & Chips......

  2. "Kitty litter" applied liberally and left for a few days. i.e. any material that has greater "blotting paper - sucking power" than the balsa

  1. For more methods - Refer to the FAQ section on
    all the Hints and Tips

General Tips - The R/C Proving Grounds Great Hobbies - Radio Control Aircraft Index Helpful Hints - with GIF images. High Flight Archive - Articles and Hints archives Hints & Tips, Antoon #1 Hints and Tips, Antoon #2 re electronics etc. How to - Tips by Ironsides #1 How to - Tips & Tricks by Ironsides #2 HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works! Metalworking FAQ/Compendium Model Airplane FAQ - G Hiddink Model Builder's Information Source - Airfield Models Model Doctor................. Radio Control Airplanes - Photos, Movie Clips and more RCFAQ.com (original site down .Archived file slow to open) - email Alan in need. R/C Hints & Tips, Construction for R/C - Tony Van Roon RC Flyers Hints Page

and many more

regards Alan T Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links