Fuel tank 'clunk" question

Hi there,
I am new to this NG and working on my 4th RC airplane. I am building a 1/6th scale Dh2 Beaver on floats (96" span) and am in the process of
installing a Du Bro 24 oz fuel tank to go with a Super Tiger .90 -2 stroke. Tank is aproximately 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" by about 8 inches long with the stopper and lines at one end .....The problem I see is that the Clunker stays to the bottom of the tank every which way I turn the tank like it is supposed to except if I put the plane into a nose dive...the clunk dosen't slide itself to the front (towards the stopper) of the tank as I think the fuel tubing that came with the tank is too stiff to allow this.... I think the engine would stall if I had half a tank of fuel and was decending with the plane... I am thinking of putting the tank in on a slope upwards towards the firewall to perhaps counter this problem...or... cut the tubing so the clunk sits about half way down the tank?...<---doing this will allow the plane to stall in a steep climb though with half a tank...I dunno...I don't plan on trying to wring this plane out and do any acrobatics with it....... so I would like to hear any suggestions...hopefully sometime soon...ha ha! ..... as I am at the point where I have to install the fuel tank and I wanna get this plane in the air in the next couple of weeks before the lakes freeze.... Thanks in advance....Jim

What he said is correct, and another point that could be made is to use a big enough fuel tank that you don't burn more that 2/3rds of the tank on a normal flight. That is usually enough to keep it running.
Another choice is to use a header tank. You have your 12 oz or whatever tank feed into the vent of a 2 oz tank, then into the carb. The small tank never leaves full until the big tank sucks air. -- Jim in NC
P.S. Don't let that clunk go to the front of the tank. The bend will cut off the fuel flow.
Hopefully you won't be in a full power dive long enough to use all the fuel in the line!
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

stroke.
stopper
the
itself
Jim

Thanks to all that replioed to my question...The tank is installed and fuselage is sheeted over...I did put the tank in on a bit of an upward angle though just to set my head at ease.... Thanks again to all that replied....a very knowlegable group!...Jim

You all are forgetting that in a dive, if the dive is faster than fuel can free fall, the fuel will remain at the back of the tank. Most all manuvers will keep the fuel at the back.
<jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> writes:>

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email
Indeed you are right. In fact, in almost all except inverted flight, the fuel doesn't move. There is a marvelous video taken from the back seat of an Aero Commander, over Bob Hoover's shoulder as he pours a glass of water from a pitcher while doing a roll. The glass is sitting on the top of the instrument panel. He then proceeds to put the A/C through the most amazing sequence of manouvers and the water never moves. Of course, we are not likely to be as co-ordinated in our flying as he is but it makes the point. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

tank.
taking
The Aero Commander is NOT rated for much negative Gs. All the flying he did was ALL at positive Gs. We modelers quite frequently pull significant negative Gs.
David
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:39:34 -0400, "Gord Schindler"

You have to be accelerating faster than the acceleration of gravity for that to be true. In a 15 second dive, you would add 32 + 32 .... fifteen times and that would be your vertical speed in feet per second. That would only keep[ up with gravity.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

.. Thanks in

--
- Ren

I think a 24 oz tank is too big for a .91. The fuel draw may not be adequate when the clunk is so far from the engine, due to the size of the tank. 14 oz would be more realistic, unless you have a pump. (now I'll go back and read the original post again to check on that).