World's Cheapest ARF

Well, it looks like Raidentech has gone nuts! They have the Selective RC Star Evolution .40 sized glow trainer on special for $38.95 through the end of the month. Shipping to my zip code is only $8.33, so that's a complete airframe including fuel tank, landing gear, and hardware delivered for less than $50.

I have to admit that I'm curious what kind of airplane $38.95 buys these days. My old Hangar 9 Easy Fly 40 is coming apart at the seams, so I'm going to give one of these a shot.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I saw that deal and I'm really tempted, too. I have too many planes now, but feel like "something's missing" because my fleet doesn't include a .40-sized trainer....

Good luck with the bargain flyer, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Reply to
Paul BR

Raiden Technology, Inc. South El Monte, CA Phone: 626-443-8997 Fax: 516-706-0421 Email: snipped-for-privacy@raidentech.com Office hours are Monday through Friday, 12:00PM - 6:00PM Pacific Time.

I'm located in Omaha, Nebraska.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Thanks for that, Ed. I need a new trainer righ now! We'll see what comes in the big brown truck!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Fill in the rest of us when you have time, Paul.

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Wow! I checked the site and all their products are very inexpensive. Please let us know what kind of quality you're getting for that price. I'm tempted to pick up the Ultimate .46 for $119. The pictures are impressive at that price.

Reply to
rcflyer620

For the price of that "trainer", how can you go wrong.

We have this thing and is looks like a copy of an Avistar. We built one without any dihedral !!! Flies surprisingly well. The rudder looks kinda small, but we were surprised on how well it doe coordinated turns (scale like, using rudder AND ailerons). Since w took the dihedral out, rolling turns are just about perfect.

Our conditions : 46 size engine with MAC pipe, flying at 5000 ft.

ONE THING YOU MUST DO. REPLACE THE SCREWS THAT ARE USED FOR THE NOS WHEEL. THEY ARE TOO SHORT (AT LEAST ON OURS)

LBNL, if you live in their neighbourhood, you have to visit them. I a going back there around Xmas to pick up "goodies". All kinds o stocking stuffers !!

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Our R/C Club bought three of them!! I got one myself as I like to have a trainer handy. I was impressed with what we got for the money..you sure couldn't get a kit or any ARF anywhere at this price... Haven't startedputting it together, but it looks very good, indeed. Frank Schwartz in Hendersonville, TN

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Frank:

In addition to the warning I placed about the mounting screws of th nose gear, we also added a "peek window" right on top of the fuel tank Added a three line fill system and all we have to do now is clamp th carb fuel line and look in the window if it is full or not. If you'r game, take all the dihedral out. Surprising to say the least. Had t add that rubber deflector, because the MAC pipe points right at th wing leading edge !!!

Upcoming mods: Make tail dragger from this bugger. Rotate engine cc so that MAC pipe is in the middle of the fuse centreline, then close u the fuse on top for a "sleek look"......

+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: peek-window.jpg |Download:
indoruwet

Got my delivery notification e-mail, my Star Evolution trainer should arrive on Nov. 2nd. I bought a Magnum XLS .52 2-stroke a few days ago on clearance for $55. I might put it on the Star Evo .40 and add a pair of floats. Might be a good combination for a ski plane and float plane.

Will have to consider it a bit, I'd probably spend more on the floats than the plane! :-)

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I am going to electrify mine. Gonna get one of those cheap geared 600s from Hobby Lobby.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul, the bugger is kind of heavy !!! What is the altitude you are a

?? May be OK, if close to sea level ?

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

I wish you luck with your Mag. 52

Ed Paasch Wrote:

-- I_FLY_C

----------------------------------------------------------------------- I_FLY_CL's Profile:

this thread:

I_FLY_CL

I am in Arizona at about 1000 MSL. A geared 600 on 3S LiPo should be about as powerful as an FP40 for slow flight. We'll see how it goes!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Flying weight was listed at 6 to 6.5 lbs.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

One thing that may help your project is that it has a fairly large win

area. With the set-up I have it is a good floater at 5000 ft

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Hehe, thanks, I_FLY_CL. I've heard mixed reviews of Magnum engines. I just didn't think it made sense to buy a Saito or YS engine to put on a $38.95 ARF. We'll see how things turn out.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:00:38 -0500, "Ed Paasch" wrote in :

Let us know how it all turns out. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I thought you were in England, Paul. When did you come home?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger