More Info on World's Cheapest ARF

My Start 40 Evolution 2 Trainer arrived today from

via FedEx Home Delivery. The actual manufacturer of the ARF doesn't appear to be Selective R/C as I'd originally suspected
although Selective R/C may be the U.S. importer and distributor for this ARF. The actual manufacturer appears to be Khiem Tin Ltd. DBA VHN Line, a Vietnamese corporation -
The ARF came with an outer shipping box over the manufacturer's packing box for extra shipping protection. The internal packing was minimal, but my initial inspection showed that the plane arrived in perfect shape with no shipping damage. The overall strength of the airframe and quality of the covering is good. The included hardware looks quite servicable, even though it isn't what I'd consider "top quality."

The instruction manual is a fairly clear and legible photo copy. The instructions themselves aren't comprehensive, but they seem easy enough to follow and anyone with any previous ARF assembly experience can probably follow along easily enough. I paid $38.95 for the airframe and another $8.33 for shipping and handling to get the ARF from Raidentech in California out to me in Nebraska. So far, I'd certainly have to say I've gotten more than my money's worth.

A great deal of assembly required by other ARFs is already done. All of the control surfaces are already hinged and installed, no hinge gluing required. The engine mount is already attached to the firewall, as is the nose gear assembly (minus the wheel). While I doubt the packaging's claim that this ARF can be ready to fly in an hour, it does appear that it will be a very easy final assembly.

I'll need to scrounge up a receiver, crystal, and battery, but other than that I can probably build up the ARF tonight and have it ready to fly soon. I'll post more after I get a chance to put it in the air.

All in all though, if you want a basic trainer airframe for a bargain price, this does seem to be an awfully good deal so far. Raiden is continuing to run this as a "monthly" special for the time being, so feel free to roll the dice if you want a good, cheap ARF.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Thanks for the information, Ed. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Robert Scott

Those links didn't work for me....(except the Radintech)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

The Selective RC link worked for me when I double checked it just now. The VNH Line website is down right now, but the link I provided is correct. Just trying to provide some additional information about how these $38.95 ARFs are getting out to R/C pilots.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Just got this ARF today. This thing is built like a tank! I'll have i

flying this weekend. Assuming it flies well I think this is a supe deal. Besides the trainer function this could be a good one desig contest flier for fun stuff like spot landings, limbo, etc. Heck it' practically disposable, perhaps some really lame combat or pylon racin would be fun.

I'm getting ahead of myself. First I need to teach my son to fly

-- flyboyanderso

----------------------------------------------------------------------- flyboyanderson's Profile:

this thread:

flyboyanderson

Hmm..

I am sure glad a lot of other people now think this is not that bad o a deal for so little money. When I mentioned this plane a few months back, I sure got it from a lo of people for even having the nerve to mention this Viet Nam product. BTW, ours now is a tail dragger, engine rotated ccw until MAC exhaus is right under the fuse, top of fuse closed up above the engine, zer dihedral in the wings. End result: why spend so much if so little can do almost the same

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

I'm planning on doing the same thing with the same plane but I'm new to it. Anybody got any tips on the conversion?

Looking at the inside of the fuse I was planning to just mount a block across the width of te fuse just behind the firewall and then drill it out. A couple blind nuts to hold the front gear on (thinking

10-24 since I have another plane already like this and the 1/4-20 were too big and ripped a chunk out of the bottom of the fuse when I hit a rock landing).

For the tailwheel I figure I'll glue some lite ply to the bottom of the tail end of the fuse and snake a piece of piano wire up to the rudder for some steering.

I am very, very open to suggestions though...

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

You fellows were right aboutthe screws holding the nose gear in place. We had to put in longer ones. Also our plane, with an FP-40 OS engine takes close to 13 oz of lead to get it to balance. Anyone else haveing balance problems??? Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

FS:

Glad you "found" the "too short screws". We did at the first landing. Regarding weight addition. Ours has an OS 46 on it with a MAC pipe. The engine mounts were the long ones and so ours has it all the way u front. That is probably the difference here

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

I've been slowly but surely putting mine together. I was surprised to see that the wing has almost no diehedral in it and it's semi-symmetrical. The plane should be fairly aerobatic when flying.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

How about a "one roll 360 degree turn" with this plane ? Simple rolling turns are a breeze. With the unit set-up as described above, we can. CG is a bit aft o ours. You do need a bit of raw power to do it tho

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Anyone have a good link to this product line?

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

This pushed me over the edge and got me to order one, even though I hav

far too many unbuilt planes:

"Use coupon code "HOBBYLAND" at check out for 10% OFF on all R/ products at Raidentech.com 's already crazy low prices. Coupon expire on 11/28/05 or while it last.

-- Solca

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Solcat's Profile:

this thread:

Solcat

Solcat:

They are in your neighbourhood, so pick one up personally (ask fo John) and save the shipping cost. Take a look at their Giles 202. Pretty neat bird. Just keep a straight face when you see their warehouse..... Will be back there soon before christmas to pick up some of thei goodies.

IR

Ed P: Looking at the size of the rudder, when you have it ready to fly, se how it performs when you make a rudder turn....

I am still amazed at how good this bugger flies and how much fun it i for so little money

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Yeah but it's only $6 for shipping. And if I went I'd probably end u

buying that 40 size P47. But I'm still learning how to land and stee a Magister on the ground

-- Solca

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Solcat's Profile:

this thread:

Solcat

I ordered one of the $38.00 trainer planes...the Fed-ex shipping tracker says the package is 1 lb. This seems really light, might be a mistake.

Is this plane's wing held on with rubber bands or bolts?..the pic shows bolts, but it is not a really good picture.

Other than the nose wheel, are there any other areas that need to be checked before flight?

TIA jason

Reply to
jason w

I think that's a glitch in their shipping software. I ordered from them before and my package was listed as 1 lb. No problems.

I just ordered one of the $38.95 trainers, plus the .40-size Ultimate that looks exactly like the World Models bipe (same mfg.?) for $119.00. I've been wanting to build a SIG Ultimate Fun Fly profile bipe to replace one I crashed a while back. The SIG kit is $77 and two rolls of covering are another $22. For $20 more, I bought a full-bodied ARF Ultimate... I hope it flies well.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Agreed... You'd probably spend that much on gas now :( And yes, you may end up with more than you wanted to get... :D I walked in to get one thing and walked out with four :o

jas> Is this plane's wing held on with rubber bands or bolts?..the pic show

I found one area that may be a bit skinny on the "glue amount" end. Look into the area that is right underneath the wing mounting area o the fuse. One of ours had the formers not quite well glued on (in ou opinion).

The wing is a "Rubber band hold on" type. You get four huge rubbe bands, that I used as building aids !! Otherwise it is all OK "as is" Do not use an Iron to get the wrinkles out. You smear the painted o decorations. Use a heat gun and a glove to smooth them out.

If you want to make it "bolt down", then do it during the buildin stage. You can use the wings as a template to make the new cente section out of lite ply. Ours have zero dihedral, and the hold dow bolts are mounted "outside the fuse" (easier to place correctly). W also added a "peek window" above the fuel tank, so we can see when th fuel tank is fuel or how much fuel is left. We did a three line fue system.

Robert Scott Wrote:

It does

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

That's good news! Are you flying one, by any chance? And/or, have you also flown a SIG Ultimate Fun Fly?

I noticed this Ultimate I just ordered from Raidentech, like the World Models Ultimate, has a very short fuse. (yuk yuk yuk)

My SIG profile Ultimate had a 42" span and a 43.5" length. The Ultimate sold by Raidentech has a 43.5" span and a 39.8" length. That's a considerable difference in geometry, it would seem....

The World Models Ultimate lists a 42" span and a 39.5" length, so apparently the Raidentech Ultimate and the World Models Ultimate are not the same airplane after all. I sure loved the way the SIG UFF flew. I hope Raidentech's Ultimate is as enjoyable.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Too late , ordered 2 already. :) mk