OS LA .40, whats it worth?

I have an O.S. LA 40, the blue version, that has never been run, and is like new except for paint where I was markig holes and one of the mounting holes is reamed out.

I have the muffler as well.

How much cash would I expect to get from this engine on ebay?

Thanks, Robert.

Also, if I'm thinking about buying a 1/2A trainer ARF, which one would you suggest?

Reply to
theapodan

In Australia most people are now bypassing the 40LA for the 46LA. The price has dropped to the point there is no reason to spend a few extra dollars and get the 46LA.

Having said that, I have a 40LA which is a year old. It's perfectly run in and fellow club members just can't believe how well it runs and flies (particularly in heavy wind). It's no powerhouse and takes a while to get a trainer upto take off speed (scale takeoff) but it's an honest engine.

If you have it, keep it. No-one will pay you what it's worth and it's good enough to keep for a trainer or similar low powered aircraft.

PS. 40LA is selling for roughly $99AUD, 46LA is now getting down to $112AUD.

Reply to
The Raven

Correction, the 46LA in natural (non-blue) is now down to $95AUD.......

Reply to
The Raven

The OS 40LA is a fine little engine. It makes nearly 1 HP, is extremely reliable, and is quite economical to operate. I was getting 18 minutes out of an 8 oz tank with plenty of fuel left over. I recently sold mine to a friend for $25 after running is for a year. I do a lot of flying, so it had a few hours on it!

One item that some owners neglect to do is to keep the original box, packing, and even the instruction manual. Without these items, the engine is worth considerably less. An even worse sin is to modify or alter the engine in any manner something that you appear to be guilty of. However, you do have one thing in your favor being the engine was never run.

In the US of A, a new 40 is around $59. Sometimes I see them on sale for fifty bucks. Even though blue is kind of a gay color, I believe $30 would be a fair price.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

One aspect everyone has seemed to forget about is that one of the mounting holes is "reamed out" which I interpret to mean "stripped." This will require a retap and if someone doesn't have a tap and die set, the motor will be useless to them. Depending on just how bad it is, there might not even be room for a larger size tap, as this might put the hole too close to the edge of the mount and be a point of weakness.

I'd list it on E-Bay for a starting price of $0.99 and see what you can get out if it. It might be worth more in parts, so you could try selling the carb, head, crankshaft, piston, muffler, etc. invidually.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Why would you need to tap the mounting hole? My take is that it was drilled out to a larger size for some reason. Only had 3 screws of the proper size but a few screws of a larger size, maybe. Too far to the LHS or hardware store but that larger drill bit was close by and handy? None of my engines have threaded mounting holes, OS or otherwise.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Yeah, I had reamed it out for a larger bolt. I hadn't messed with any of the other screwed parts, like the head or backplate, if that's what "Doc" was actually talking about.

Reply to
theapodan

Well, does anyone want it for $45, shipped with insurance to the lower

48?
Reply to
theapodan

Reply to
Brad Darnell

I would keep it. They are not bad engines, great for trainers. Also good for putting on .25 sized planes, people do it all the time. My father flies his LT-40 ARF with one and it flies great. Usually has to reduce the throttle to 1/4-1/2. My first good engine was the .46LA. I still have it. Its been on more than a few planes, gallons of fuel thru it, still runs like a champ.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

10oz tank gets me 20minutes with some safety margin, although I rarely exceed 15minute flights.

Agreed that having all the original packaging and documentation helps with the resale value. Don't know why, seeing you can get PDF instruction books off the web but....

I think he mentioned enlarging the holes in the mounting beams. As long as he did this properly it won't affect resale.

NIB = New In Box (excluding the minor mount mod).

Reply to
The Raven

The beam mounts aren't tapped to start with, just a plain hole that won't take the more common sized mounting bolts found in most hobby shops (at least in my case - Australia).

Why strip and sell and otherwise new engine? You'll never get much for it. If the perceived value (to the current owner) is that low they may as well give it to their club to raffle off.

Reply to
The Raven

============= Take a look in the "Airplanes" section at

The Neofun ARFs are 1/2A, as well as some of the Hacker models. From
the Norvel Vision and Classic are other possibilities.

I think the Neofun and Norvel planes may actually be the same; just sold under names.

There may be lots of others but these were easy to find.

1/2A engines are not cheap. The AP Wasp .061 is 40 bucks, Norvel engines are slightly more expensive. The Norvel ARF planes are $75.

Unless model size or flying space is an issue, and you already have it, I'd put the 40LA on an LT-40 ARF (or just about any 40 size trainer). The LT-40 ARF costs $132, and the Tower Hobbies Trainer 40 ARF costs $70; and lots fall between these prices.

Just another opinion...

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

Built a "Battle Floyd" (about 45 USD). Stick that little engine on tha

and have a ball !!

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

The reason I'm thinking about a smaller plane is that I have a small car and small apartment.

Reply to
theapodan

The Battle Floyd fits in my trunk (Honda Accord), in one piece (wing attached). How much smaller do you want it

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

What, where, who makes the "Battle Floyd"? Never heard of it, but being a rabid Pink Floyd fan, anything that has Floyd in the name gets my attention.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Battle Floyd.

Made by Cutting Edge Model Products P.O. Box 6941 Eureka, Ca95502.

It comes with all the foam (wings and fuse), balsa to cover the fuse sufficient Coroplast to make the tail parts, and the main spa material. I think, I paid about 40 dollars for all. Really a fun plane. Meant for hand launch, but I have added main an tail gear. Running a 35 size engine (6000 ft, OK) and an 8 oz tank !!! Flies fo ever !!! Floats really good to. Use it with streamers for Air Combat when it i windy. If no wind, we use the electric air combat

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Thanks for the info. Will definitely check this out.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Hej Fubar, just finished lurking at your website. I used to live i

Camarillo. Where is your abode and where do you fly ? Sometimes I ge back to Pleasant Valley and fly where the Camarillo Hospital used t be

-- indoruwe

this thread:

indoruwet