NEWBIE needs HELP with first RC Plane

I'm looking for the cheapest plane for a beginner that I can fly. Also, the plane has to be able to carry a video camera.

Right now I don't care about type or style. I just want to take some airial movies. If you can also advise on a video camera, that would be great also.

any help is appreciated. Terry in Dallas.

Reply to
Terry

You won't be able to get a plane, put a camera on it and go take videos. You must LEARN how to fly the plane first. It's not hard, but there is a learning curve. My suggestion is go to

. Under Member Services/Clubs look up a club in your area and hook up with them. They will advise you as to the best plane for your needs and budget. They will also help you learn to fly it. Believe me, the learning curve for those that learn on their own is very expensive. I can't help you with the camera selection. Paul

Reply to
Paul

Slow Stick. Flycamone2 from Hobby Lobby.

Reply to
fubar1

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Terry wrote in :

I don't fly light electrics, but it seems to me that there may be some off-the-shelf that are camera ready.

Thousands of pages about what works. Here's one:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

all topgether npw

SLOW STICK.

As long as its a miniature video, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've been researching a little more and seems that Slow Stick and Easy Star are the ones to go with. Also I'm confused about what is need to get started. I see planes for sale, but then I hear you still need all kinds of different things for it before you can get it in the air.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 05:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Terry wrote in :

Some planes are ready-to-fly.

Others require some assembly.

At a minimum, you probably need some extra batteries and (often) a better battery charger.

As others have suggested, you will probably learn faster if you find someone to fly with. You can inspect their setup and get a sense of what works and what is necessary.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Plane, pack, receiver, servos, transmitter, motor, esc, prop, charger, flight simulator...to practice crashing on..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An RTF plane is Ready To Fly. That usually means that everything needed to get it into the air is included in the box (complete plane with receiver and servos, radio, battery (some even include the batteries for the radio), some accessories, etc.

An ARF plane is Almost Ready to Fly. Those will require assembly of the plane, addition of receiver, servos, electronic speed control, etc.

A new addition to this lineup is the PNP plane. This type of plane is ready to fly, once you bind it to a radio that you already have.

At your point, I would suggest that an RTF would be your best bet.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

I think I"ve made my choice . . . . . a RTF HobbyZone Super Cub. I'll learn with it before buying Easy Star.

Thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terry

"Terry" wrote

Cubs are normally not a good choice for a first plane. They have some scale like peculiarities, that makes them a better choice for a second plane.

Reply to
Morgans

Having owned BOTH the Super Cub and the EZ Star...let me suggest that you start with EZ Star.

While many will tell you the Super Cub is "easy to fly" my own experiences were the opposite. Chalk it up to "operator error" if you will. However..The EZ Star is a DREAM to fly.

I had a good suggestion from a friend to slightly increase the size of the EZ Star's rudder ( and later on, to increase the size of the motor)... I still fly the EZ Start nearly every time out. It'll teach you things in an EZ easy way.

The Super Cub comes with a radio/transmitter and servos that cannot be switched to another plane easily. The EZ star ( at least the $59.00 version that I bought). allowed me to add my own servos; receiver and transmitter. Those articles cost some money, but they can be moved to another plane at will.

The prop is a pusher on the EZ Star. I still have the original prop on! I can't count the number of broken props that occurred during my formative months with the Super Cub.

Read carefully the www.rcgroups and www.rcuniverse sites that focus on the Super Cub. You will find issues about "glitches" in the weak radio system. It is a 27 megahertz system that is useless for most normal R/C uses. Many users change everything out at their first chance.

I am not knocking the physical structure of the Cub, only its poor and amateurish radio/tx/servos/motor arrangement.

Perhaps, if you are focused on and convinced that the Super Cub is the only plane for you ( wrong choice, IMHO)..then at least, only buy the foam parts, and add your own tx/rx/servos.. At least that way, you will have transferable parts. Spend it now, or spend it later,...sooner or later, you will spend it.

One thing that I am not sure about..and that is your commitment to fly any planes after this one. It may be that this is a one time use deal...never going to fly again. Perhaps, you just want to take some aerial pictures...if so, the Super Cub may well be your solution..but..be forewarned..this hobby is addictive.

regards, Rich

Reply to
richg99