Re: I dood it.

A Wingo!.......Ed!......Say it isn't so! I hope you enjoy flying sloooowwwwww....

I might have been tempted to recommend a Zagi for a first electric, but some of the older people in my club have trouble seeing it at certain angles.....not that I consider you an older person or anything......

With the new LiPo batteries on the market just about any plane out there can be electric powered and be as powerful (if not more so) as any glow version of the same. In fact, these batteries will allow longer flights than most glow powered equivalents.

That said, I hope you got yourself a good battery charger. Nothing takes the shine off the preformance of an electric plane like a cheap charger. They don't work well and the entire experience from strugling with how to properly charge to short duration flights really has turned a lot of people away from enjoying electric powered planes.

Wiz

It's time to fess up. I can't stand the guilt any longer, so here goes... > > My Wingo and the stuff to complete it arrived yesterday. I has taken de' > plunge into electric. > > Yeah, it's not a 3D plane, I know, but at least it won't chop the wife's arm > off if she is assigned to pit duty. > > Go ahead, tease me. I'm ready. > > Ed Cregger > > >
Reply to
Mike Wiz

I did the same thing two years ago. Now I'm flying hot electric aerobats with unlimited vertical and 35 minute flight times. The oily fleet is slowly being sold off to feed my appetite for brushless motors and lipoly batteries. Truly amazing stuff.

Reply to
mike tully

I have an ulterior motive for ordering the Wingo, Moe. I have one of those tiny combination color cameras/2.4 GHz video transmitters that I want to use at some altitude here in the housing development. After some research, it appears that the Wingo will handle this small load with no problems whatsoever.

I am already looking around for something more adrenaline pumping. Any thoughts on the Pigi sold by Hobby Lobby? I am not into heavy building at the moment.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I do enjoy flying slow too, Mike. I usually keep some kind of floater around for those days that I just want to hover horizontally, with the nose into the wind.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

After winning the Wingo pylon races (with a borrowed SoarStar) at the big SEFF meet in June, I wondered what I'd do with the prize Wingo. Answer?... floats! It is a really kewl float plane and flies beautifully at the local park pond.

Randy Roman

Reply to
Randall Roman

Keep us posted on how you like it!

Reply to
Morris Lee

Ah, I see! The Wingo will indeed carry that, and do a good job of it, too. I know of several people who have armed their Wingos or Soarstars with a variety of camera and video systems.

Only advice: Don't try to fly the plane by looking at the monitor. (At least not at first.) Truly disorienting and a great way to end up with a fly-away model.

Moe

Reply to
Moe Blues

That does sound like it would be fun, Randy. I saw the floats on the Hobby Lobby site. I'll probably invest in a pair of them.

Ed Cregger

Answer?...

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks, Aeropal.

Ed Cregger

Ed Cregger

Once I saw the video on Hobby Lobby's site, I knew we would get along well. At least we would aerodynamically. Mechanically might be another matter.

Will keep y'all posted.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I heard that!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I've had quite a lot of fun at work with an NSE Johnny Bee (less payload capacity than a Slow Stick or Wingo) with sugar cube CCD color cam and 110 degree lens. Interesting watching the prop load and unload in climbs/dives, and flying towards yourself etc. Cam is powered directly by motor's 8 cell pack.

Mike Dennett

Reply to
M Dennett

Hang the traitor!!!

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

That does sound like fun, Mike. I'm going to look into powering my video from the primary (one and only) flight battery. That would save a bit of weight and complexity.

Ed Cregger

climbs/dives,

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, If its adrenaline you want, get a Multiplex jet, throw away the stock motor and put in some serious brushless power.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not looking for sheer speed, TNP. My eyes would not be able to keep up with it for very long. I'm thinking more on the order of low and slow aerobatics with lots of tumbles and such. Thanks anyway.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Aha. Hit the ezone

and enquire in the 'sport' forum. Lots of well overpowered hovering 3D planes at sensible prices in there.

That sounds just like what you want - a 3D plane for the backyard.

I'm not that good. I am going to have another go at a slofly pattern style plane instead.

Think brushless and lithium and you will end up with a miniature aerobat that won't dent the pocket too much, but will knock your socks off for sheer fun as long as its not blowing too hard.

Look at Minilaser 3D and Tantrum and stuff like that. Razor brushless, Castle controller and e-tech poly batteries.

There isn;t that muchg ARF that works that good - ok the Skycat works if you throw away the motor and put in something decent. But there are a lot of really simple alser cut kits of teh stick and tissue sort that habve phenomenal performance.

Or if you want something quick and cheerful the GWS range of parkfly warbirds aren't bad as they come, and very exciting with brushless motors.

The multiplex jets are not SO fast if you keep the weight down. Mine lands in teh 15-18mph range, depending on how heavy a battery its carrying.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you want something a bit more adrenaline pumping, try the Crazy Max. It is as ugly as sin, but flys like a dream. It is a ton of fun. If you are willing to do a little building (not much I promise) go to

and look at the Switchback, Miniflash, Dandy sport, or Tantrum. These are some of the best park flyer kits out there. They are a 'shake and bake' kit. You know, open the package, throw in a bottle of CA, shake a little, and out comes a plane! They are amazing and very complete kits. Some come with Doculam covering included. Put a brushless in it and you will be hooked forever.

David

Reply to
David Morris

Flying rc for over 45 years & never had as much fun as i had today! Tried li pols in my T IFO (2 cell 950 ) from wild rc . Flew for over 35 min. (it was getting dark) or i could have kept going ! I am lucky ,as i have a large field with a basket ball court right behind my house . Charger is a $25 potenski ,also from wild rc. works great from a small

12v,7amp. hobbico lc battery from tower. The new li pol only weighs half of the 7 cell 720 nmh that i was using & flys three times as long ,plus you can leave them charged on a shelf for a long time & they hold their charge ,ready to go. BILL IN S. NJ
Reply to
Schaller MACAW

Yup. Those were what I was thinking of Ed.

You know, open the

Must get round to it one day :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher