First plane for a newbie

I have been wanting an R/C plane since I was 14 (am now 38) and have finally decided that now might be the time to look at buying.

I have talked to many people locally about what to get for my first plane, but am still undecided. Part of my problem is local availability. We do have a hobby store that sells lots of r/c planes and equipment, and I have gone and looked and asked lots of questions. Everything in the store seems way over priced from what I can find on the internet. The staff at the store (the owner operator) refused to answer any of my questions about electrics.

I am leery of buying something I can not feel/touch/look at first so I don't really want to buy something off the net. I guess I will have to go to "the big city" of Saskatoon to have a look around there. I do know of a place called Daganfly Innovations located there that makes and sells a plane called the "Vortex Extreme"

. Has anyone heard of or seen/used this plane? Would this be a good start or what should I look for or stay away from?

Kerry (Prince Albert, SK Canada)

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

Their Vortex is easier to fly than their "Extreme". Your choices are

larger airplane (which gives you more time to react, more tolerance t wind but usually more damage in a crash) or a smaller airplane which i less tolerant of wind, requires quicker reflexes and can usually (bu not always) crash with impunity. In either case, getting help from local club or flyer is usually a BIG plus that shortens the learnin curve and reduces the number of crashes and frustration. There ar those who have learned on their own but most self-thaught flyers do no complete their apprenticeship and move on to other hobbies. It's no hard, just not "natural", particularly those first few times when it i coming towards you! Once you identify who is going to help you, as them for their recommendation... A powered glider is usually a bette choice if one has discarded the notion of the "Glow Powered 40 siz trainer" that generations learned on

-- Lomceva

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Lomcevak's Profile:

this thread:

Lomcevak

If you don't mind electrics, GWS foam planes are great for beginners.. e.g. GWS Slowstick, GWS E-starter

Check out

The pros and c> I have been wanting an R/C plane since I was 14 (am now 38) and have finally

Reply to
Helicraz

Athough the plane will probably fly OK, you're also left with a maginal radio that will not be usable in your next plane. A Slow Stick, Wingo, or a SoarStar might be a better first choice. With a cheap 4channel radio to allow for future better planes. I've picked up complete, new GWS 4CH radios for as cheap as $60 on eBay, and they're really not bad for Park Flyers.

On the other hand, I've bought from Dragonfly Innovations before (no planes though) and have always been happy with their products and customer service.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Are you planning on joining a club and getting some flying instruction?

If you are, get a Sig LT 40. Here is a link to the ARF version.

is a link to the kit version.
's the best trainer in the business. Once you are through training on it, you can remove the engine and radio components for use in you next (more maneuverable) plane. The problem is that it's too expensive for you go this route without an instructor to help you because you'll be crashing every so often trying to teach yourself.

If you decide to teach yourself the Kavan Wingo from Hobby Lobby is a good choice. Here is a link to the Wingo.

It's flight characteristics are gentle enough for a person to teach himself to fly and it's all foam construction makes it somewhat crash resistant.....In any case, the repairs that it will need will be fairly easy to make.

Pros for LT 40. Great flying characteristics! Big plane (very easy to see in the air) Engine and radio transfers well into other planes Good jump off point if you are looking at flying bigger planes

Cons for LT 40 It's a little expensive It's built up wood construction isn't crash resistant You'll need a big area (like a club) to fly it You probably won't be able to teach yourself on it

Pros for Wingo It's fairly inexpensive It's nearly crash resistant It's easy to repair You can fly it in smallish (football field size) open areas You'll likely be able to teach yourself with it

Cons for Wingo It's a cheap plane It's an ugly plane It's a slow plane When your done with it most stuff won't transfer into your next plane. That is....unless flying small electric planes is your goal. That's not a bad goal either. Lots of people enjoy this hobby flying small electric's exclusively.

There are other similar planes to these two I've mentioned above. Personally, I think each of the planes I recommended represents the best in their respective categories.

Don't be afraid to mail order from places like Tower Hobbies, Horizon or Hobby Lobby. These guys usually do a very good job of taking care or their customers.

Personally, I recommend joining a club and getting the LT 40, but the other route isn't all bad.....especially if you live out where there isn't any clubs locally.

I hope I've helped at least a little.

Good Luck!

Wiz

Kerry Receveur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys

What you mention are "toys" and won't give you the satisfaction you're looking for in the hobby. I personally recommend building and then flying what you built, and not just flying (ARF's) because I have found that the building part of the hobby is even more enjoyable than the flying part. After all, just flying is nothing more than "playing" with toys while building your own gets you into the learning and technical aspects of the hobby. With the preaching out of the way, the absolutely two very best "first" beginner airplanes would be either the Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster (my first choice) or the Sig Kadet Senior. If the Telemaster Senior is too large to fit into your car, take a look at the .40 size Telemaster. Either of those aircraft are notable in that they will teach you basic construction methods that will prove valuable to you later on in the hobby, and they both come with EXTENSIVE construction "manuals" that will walk you through the building process and hold your hand all the way.

MJC

"Kerry Receveur" wrote in message news:JbJJc.33473$Mr4.18323@pd7tw1no...

Reply to
MJC

Hmmmm,

Some ever interesting and sound advice. Thank-you to everyone that replied so far.

Should I be concerned about balsa over foam for my first flyer? Balsa is harder to repair when I crash isn't it?

Here is a link to the kit version.

It's the best trainer in the business. Once you are through training on

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

All model planes are toys.

Some fly faster and are heavier and make more noise that's all, and are more dangerous.

You presumably know EXACTLY what will satisfy a potential modeller, and its EXACTLY what satisfies you, right?

*shakes head in sorrow*
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Personally, I'm not a big fan of foam planes. That said I have an all foam profile plane on the building board as I type this. I think foam planes have a niche. They are good when you expect to be rough on them, which I expect with mine. Generally, foam planes are harder to build straight and true. Notice I said "generally".

I have always found my balsa planes to be more substantial and bettery flying. Even my tiny balsa electric planes.

I guess I just like balsa best. It's light, strong easy to work with and as long as the crashes aren't too bad a balsa plane can be repaired, just not as easily as a foam one can be.

Wiz

Kerry Receveur wrote:

Mike Wizynajtys

Now why dont you ask Kerry what he would like.....NOT WHAT YOU LIKE. It is his FREEDOM and CHOICE to model what he likes. Glow, electric, glider, or whatever. BIY, ARF, RTF......its his choice. Right??? AMA/Club or no AMA/club.....his choice.

*I shake my head and LOL and tell myself*....." MJC should have been a stain on the bedsheets"

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Your best bet is go with a ARF, it teach you some basic skills.....latter on get a BIY kit or build from plans only while learning to fly. I started off with a RTF,ARF,BIY kit. Right now I am working on building one from plans only. Now if you looking for some plans latter on I have a ton of them.....gladly email you if you are interested.

Mike

P.S. The name calling is normal for 99.9% of unmoderated news groups.

Reply to
Mike R.

Has anyone heard of or

I recommended the Telemaster 40 to someone on the NG several years ago and got flamed because he couldn't understand the instructions. I'd be careful on the T-40 because I built a second kit when my original one flew away due to a radio failure and found they had discontinued the nice photo illustrated construction manual and several other niceities that were in the original. However, the Telemasters are great trainers and are still fun to me although I've long since "outgrown" trainers.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

I think I have decided to go with the Hobbico NexStar Select RTF kit. It seems like a very upgradeable package and one that will grow with me in the sport. now the fun of finding the lowest price on the kit. I have started pricing them out and was surprised at the range of prices quoted all for the same system! 899.00 - 489.00! that is quite the spread!

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

Kerry ====================================================

Tower Hobbies sells it for $399.99 and it comes with a $15 Tower gift certificate.

Ad number 010M3 gets you a $30 discount through July 31.

I don't know how this converts to Canadian dollars.

Reply to
Carrell

I started with a Hobbico 60 size several years ago... If I was to do it today, it would be with a Sig Kadet Senior ARF. Big wing, ailerons, very easy to fly and above all, very easy to see..... about the best all around trainer I've seen..

Arne, USA .

Reply to
Arne
399.99 USD = 500.00 cnd & shipping and customs brokerage would = 600.00 cnd approx.

I can get it cheaper buying in Canada

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

I built a Kadet Senior to get my kids started flying. I had them on the buddy box for the first time last night. The senior is such a nice flying plane. Don't think you could go wrong with one.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

The size of the senior is the problem! I own a small car, and live in a bachelor suite. I would have no way to get something that big moved let alone have anywhere to store it when not flying

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

Look at a Balsa USA Stick Plus 40. Ugly as possibly can be. Lots of good lessons for building and flying. Was our club trainer for a while. One tough ulgy bird. I had a great time with it and have been doing this 10 years or so now. Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

Well Kerry, you and others can flame me as you like, but here again, I have some better advice. Of the two trainers, (Nextar and Avistar), the Avistar is a LOT better of a flyer and makes a better first airplane. If you DO decide on the Nextar, be sure to disconnect the "auto crash" feature, otherwise known as the auto wing leveler. That little gem is much more of a hindrance to learning to fly than it is a help. I have quite a bit of experience teaching with both of those airplanes, and the Avistar is simply a better airplane overall.

MJC

Reply to
MJC