lowest viscosity oil

What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way? How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

You're on the right track with spindle oils -- they're the lowest viscosity oils I'm aware of, other than perhaps special watch/instrument oils. I've used Mobil Velocite #6 in an air over hydraulic system where the thinnest available hydraulic oil limited the speed of the system. Velocite #6 (ISO 10) seems similar in viscosity to kerosene. I've never handled Velocite #3, which is even thinner.

The thinnest spindle oils are probably most commonly used in high speed pre-loaded bearings with oil-mist lubrication.

Ned Simmons

who, at one point was resposible for cleaning out a redundant office facility, I have a couple little bottles of "Government of Canada" typewriter oil!

Reply to
Gerry

Look at Lilly White sewing machine oil.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What's so special about sewing machines? I've never torn one part, but know some have an oil filled sump. Not sure about what the moving parts or stresses are on those things.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On 1/5/2021 11:53 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote: > Bob La Londe snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote: >> On 1/3/2021 11:37 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote: >>> What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like >>> some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way? >>> How low are the clearances those bearings run at? >>>

They are fast and use a very low vis oil. As low as ISO22 (on the low end of the SAE10 range) Due to stain potential they prefer very clear oil. Other than that. No clue.

Velocite #10 is an ISO22 also, and there are lighter grades of Velocite spindle oil.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

They need a very clear, usually vegetable-based, oil that will not stain or leave a permanent mark on fabrics.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

The non-staining properties make sense. For the hell of it, I ordered some velocite #3. I can't find it in less than 5gal pails in the US, so the order went to a lubricant repackager in the UK.

The stuff is weird. It's thin and pours like a solvent- not quite as thin as acetone, but thin. It not suprisingly very oily, and creeps quite a a bit, bit not as bad as liquid silicones. Color of this batch is very pale yellow/green. The odor is faint but strange as well.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Maybe it would make a fair penetrating oil.

Reply to
Bob La Londe