Oil for lubricating a mill/drill

Just bought a barely used Craftex (Chinese Import) Mill/Drill. It's originally sold by Busy Bee Tools in Canada and is similar to the Grizzly G3358. Got it for 1300$ Canadian. Would have cost me 1900$ with tax and all new so I figured it was nice deal. It would have cost me more to get the smaller one I was planning on buying before I found this one.

Anyways, after we managed to drag it out of the guy's basement and down into mine I found that much of the oil that was on the machine's column had dried up and had to be removed. I'm now wondering what kind of oil I should use to keep the column and slides.

I noticed from some past posts that some of you guys use Mobil one on lathes. Should I use the same type of oil on the slides and on drive parts? Is grease better or worse? I didn't get a manual so I don't know what the manufacturer recommends (if anything).

Thanks! Jon

Reply to
JonJonJon

Jon,

It is difficult to get recommendations about the the spindle. Some say to avoid detergent oils, but since it all appears to drip out eventually, I [*] can't see anything wrong with binding up any water (which is what I have been lead to believe detergents in oils do).

Spindle oil is something you might want to try in the spindle; just in case you are wondering, I am _not_ poking fun at you.

For the ways, Mobil Vectra 2 seems to be the favorite. Enco sells both in one gallon jugs. Look for oil ports (little balls) near the bottom of the spindle, near the dials, on the front _and_ back of the table, and anywhere else they might be hiding. Have a power feed? Look under it to see if it covers one of the ports.

I have three pump oil cans with fairly small points. They contain spindle, way, and motor oil. With the arrival of the spindle and way oils, the motor oil is mostly going on things for rust proofing and sometimes doubles as a cutting fluid.

While you are waiting for spindle and way oil, get some 10W30 or something and oil the machine for each use. IMHO, any oil is better than no oil. Please recall that you have been warned [*] :)

Good luck with your mill!!

Bill

[*] Whatever you do, don't start taking my advice :)
Reply to
Bill Schwab

Conrats on the new "toy", Jon! :-)

Mobil Vactra 2 is the oil of choice for ways in most instances. Not sure if your treasure has an oil reservoir from your description. If it has open gears, there are lubricants formulated for the purpose, which I'd recommend.

I'd suggest you try for a manual to determine what's recommended, or wait for someone to respond that has a like machine. In the end, if you don't uncover anything from asking, remember that a bad oil choice is far better than no oil.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Vactra 2 in gallons can be had at mscdirect and other supply companies. Oil or petrol companies like 5 gallons on up.

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Spindle oil is probably too thin for these machines -- it will run out in no time. The low viscosity isn't needed in these machines because most run at 2000 RPM or less. General-purpose, 40W oil is fine for the spindle bearings, and for the ways and lead screws, use the #2 way oil mentioned because it's sticky and won't drip off easily.

Reply to
Tim Killian

ATF makes decent enough spindle oil, if you are in a pinch.

Gunner

Gunner Asch