Spindle Bearing Oil for Toolpost Grinders

I know there are some folks here that have considerable experience with high speed parts and lubricating oils. I anyone has recommendations for oils with properties suitable for high
speed bearings, I'd appreciate hearing them.
The spindle speeds in toolpost grinders can range from about 6k to 30k RPM.
I haven't taken them apart to see exactly what types of bearings are used in the spindles, but I would expect them to be high precision ball bearing assemblies. I've seen parts list prices of over $200 each for bearings with ODs of about 1.25".
I presently have two brands, Themac 1/2 HP and Dumore 1/4 HP.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Thanks Steve, I didn't notice any Dumore models that weren't serviceable (in looking thru their various models), but I did see their recommendation to return their motors for servicing.
These grinder's parts would need to be made up of specialized parts for the speeds they operate at, and I'd suppose that many used ones don't operate as well as they were intended to.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Thanks again, Steve. Yep, I would expect any slight problem to relate directly to the performance and the overall quality of the finish.
I was reading the earlier posts on balancing, and was surprised to learn of the number of effects of balancing for different characteristics, and the effects of those procedures on different speed ranges.
I don't know if I'll use these grinders on lathes, or maybe just apply them to dedicated small parts grinding setups.
I don't do any machine operations that require any level of high precision, but if I were to do some tooling grinding it may involve finishing of an arbor taper, cutter sharpening or resizing small hardened parts.
--
WB
metalworking projects

At those speeds, most bearings will be running with air/oil misting and a very light turbine oil such as DTE Light
Cavitation becomes a real problem at high speeds in oil baths, as does the fact that oil isnt a compressible and too much tends to make the balls in the race ride up and over the oil droplets, slamming back down on the other side.
The same effect that makes potholes on the back side of speed bumps.
Gunner
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Thanks for the suggestion. As most things, there appear to be various grades of Mobile's DTE oils, and I'll spend some time looking into Light and the others.
Yep, the balls want to hydroplane, but there's nowhere to go.
--
WB
metalworking projects
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:38:22 -0500, "Wild_Bill"

A $6 6001 (12 x 28mm) bearing is rated for 26KRPM grease lubed and 32K in oil. Oil mist or oil spot lube will probably push that to 45K. But the devil is in the details of the spindle's construction at those speeds. What you get with a $200 bearing is not necessarily higher speed, but closer tolerances on the bearing's dimensions and running accuracy.
--
Ned Simmons

Thanks for the technical info, Ned. Those numbers help to put things into perspective.
I think those numbers were intended to apply to quality bearings, and not many varieties of the dirt-cheap versions.
I suppose that a portion of the $200 bearing price would be for individual human inspection and selection of the bearing assemblies, and possibly related to a certain number of rejects that don't make the grade.
--
WB
metalworking projects

The numbers come from SKF. I didn't check, but I imagine recommendations from other major mfrs would be similar. The $6 I mentioned will get you an SKF, NSK, etc., bearing. A remarkable bargain all things considered. But, yeah, I'd be reluctant to install no-name bearings in any critical app to save $2.

I'm sure that's a big part of the price. That $6 bearing is quite likely to come very close to, or even meet, the specs of the $200 bearing. But it doesn't come with the guarantee that it will.
--
Ned Simmons