Snow Report

Grand Rapids, Michigan: we have about 20 inches of snow over the last couple of days with about 10 more inches coming. There was a 100 car pile up on southbound I-194 around Benton Harbor due to white out conditions. About 17 semis were involved also. Amazingly, only one guy got killed. This is a genuine U.P. snow storm here in the Lower Pennisula. It has been quite a few years since we've had snow like this. I like it, but that's just me. It's about 10 degrees F out right now. Gonna be a white Xmas. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Now, doubtless, you will begin getting stories about old storms in Michigan. I'll toss in my favorite, which I experienced when living in East Lansing:

"The Lansing State Journal remembers the blizzard of January 27, 1967 today. Over 2 feet of snow fell in the worst blizzard in Lansing history, closing businesses, collapsing roofs, stranding motorists and causing a state of emergency to be declared."

We had 24 inches in 24 hours and 36 inches over three days. A few days before, on January 24th, a record high temperature of 66 deg. had been set. The temperature dropped 40 deg. in about 15 hours before the storm. Then it dropped below zero and stayed there.

Very weird. We had 40-foot snowdrifts behind my dorm and kids were jumping out of third-story windows for fun. The single-story branch library behind my dorm was covered in a drift and it disappeared completely under the snow. The plows piled snow 8 feet high along the roads, and we had to carve a stairway to get down to the buses.

It sounds like you're in for something like that. Enjoy!

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I left Canada in 1973 and have lived in Australia and Fiji ever since. One of the great joys of my life is looking up the weather forecast for Calgary, and seeing that it was the same number as here in Melbourne, except it had a minus sign in front. It was 34 Degrees C in Melbourne today. I have'nt seen snow in 35 years, and tht's the way I like it!

Reply to
Grumpy

I'll trade you for the snow, Allentown PA we got 2" of ice (Friday) followed by 1" of ice (Sunday). It started as snow then went to rain. Then went to 14 degrees which made what was on the ground into something like limestone. Currently 9 degrees (above, Fahrenheit).

Christmas Eve forecast is mid 40's and rain, I might be able to clear off my parking lot then.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I was there, too Ed. Great storm. I remember climbing over Epley Center and watching guys jump out of the 5th floor Shaw hall windows.

My best story is of the guys who piled into a convertible and headed for Tom's Party Store. On the way back, loaded with booze and too many riders, they were pulled over by a National Guard APC on Grand River.

We went 'traying' until the cafeteria ran out of trays.

I almost got run over by a snow plow when we were xc skiing down Grand River.

I met a term full of dates while playing in the snow.

Karl Pearson

Reply to
aslub

Ha-ha! Oh, boy. I'm sure we have lots of stories to share. I lived in Akers Hall, and Conrad Library completely disappeared in a drift that extended from Akers to Fee.

So, you were there for the College Football Game of The Century, and for the

23-deg. below zero finals week. I had to walk a mile into the wind for an 8:00 AM final that day.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yup - game of the centtury - had to pay an outrageous scalping price to get a date a ticket (about $35 if I remember). Never heard 76,000 people so quiet at the end of a game. Last football game I ever attended, I was so teed off.

Weren't all the finals weeks 23 below? Or was that the TA's hearts :)

Reply to
aslub

Yesterday was a high temperature record here in Dallas - 83 degrees....

Snow? that powdery white stuff?

Reply to
Richard

Nah! You are thinking of white powder coating powder. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I made one more MSU game, the opener the next season against USC. OJ Simpson ran over, under, around and through MSU's defense -- it just wasn't the same.

I'll never forget that one because I had to walk into that wind the whole way -- buses weren't running -- and I thought I'd die by the time I got there.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was wondering if it was going to survive baking in the oven...

Reply to
Richard

A few days later, high temperatures and rain. Check your tools for condensation.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Try it, and let us know. ;-)

BTW, when I lived in Ohio a man acoos town from me was snowed in, so he opened a basement window and started shoveling the snow into the basement, until he could get to his front door. He kept tossing snow into the basement, until he reached the road. Then he closed the basement windo and turned his heat back on to let the furnace & sump pump dispose of the 'wet waste'. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I found condensation on my mill table the other day . The wife thought it'd be a good idea to use CFL bulbs to lower energy costs . She was right , the temp in the house went up 15* from my cussin' about the condensation on my tools . Went back to incandescent bulbs , no more moisture . Jes' gotta keep the air in the shed above the dew point . Two hunnerd watt bulbs handles that chore nicely .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Used to do the same when I had a cabin cruiser. Kept a light bulb burning when it was docked.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I don't remember it so vividly - obviously I skipped finals that day :)

I'm surpirised I didn't watch OJ - he was my hero at the time. Olympic gold metalist, world record holder and great football player. Of course I didn't think Magic Johnson would 1) go to the Olympics and 2) make it in the Pro's. Shows how much I know - then or now.

Reply to
aslub

Yeah, he was an admirable character. Anyone who followed him then feels shellshocked by what's happened to him since.

Same here. He was a terrific college player, but I thought he'd be outclassed in the pros.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress