Snow tool

This guy thinks this is new?

They've been making one-piece bent showshovels for decades.

Or maybe his product is just the loopy handle? If that's the case, then I hate him - I thought of the same thing decades ago, but didn't know how to get something so simple and obvious to market.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why not just fabricate another short handle that attaches to the shovel at the rivet where the handle meets the shovel. We've done that around here, quite common. This handle is free to swing as needed. The gold rush guys had this figured out years ago. Those bent handle things suck. The patent office is loaded with handles of this concept. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I'd be interested to try a scythe type handle one a snow shovel. That's one tool designed to be swung around all day without straining your back by being hunched over. They take a little getting used to, but the concept works.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I find it more advantageous to live where the snow ISN'T, thanks.

-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Martin Eastburn

Yup, used two guys to muck out their diggings. Have a drawing of one somewhere from the 1850s. One guy pushed, the other guy lifted after getting a full load.

I've never used one of the bent handle jobbies because most, if not all, are attached to plastic blades. Wouldn't last more than a fraction of a pass down the driveway or sidewalk in sub-zero weather. Too many busted spots and raised joints. No fun running into them with a steel blade, either, but at least it doesn't crack. Have a lot of handles that used to be attached to plastic shovel blades salvaged from the dumpster in back.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I've never used tried any of the funky handled shovels either. But we do have 4 varieties of Garant plastic shovels. The oldest, and everyone's favorite, is about 20 years old and the blade is worn back at least 1-1/2". Below zero weather is not unusual here in Maine, and we've never broken one. Our walk is dry laid brick, so there are plenty of bumps to run into.

Ned Simmons

OK, fair enough. The only time I used one was on a sidewalk, which is all smooth and stuff.

Or are you pulling the "hole in the roof" trick? "Can't fix the driveway in the winter, because, well, it's winter. And when summer comes, who needs to fix it?" >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise