Simulating Snow

The answer on another forum was 'use baking soda'............

I just visited my locals Asda (now owned by Wallmart btw)

I counld only find 'Baking Powder' - so I asked a passing lady shopper if this was the same as 'Baking Soda' - 'No' she replied, 'they are different things'.

I found an assistant and asked - but she said 'Bicarbonate of Soda' is what I wanted - but beyond that she hadn't a clue !!!!

So my question to you guys is - what is the difference between :-

  1. Baking Soda (as recommended)
  2. Baking Powder
  3. Bicarbonate of Soda

I am trying to simulate a light dusting of snow on an aircraft hardstanding - on the grass around the edges and in piles on the concrete where it has been swept away.

I am in the UK

I am a guy - so I don't know the intricacies of cooking.....

Cheers

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

Here's an answer:

bicarbonate of soda: White crystalline solid that neutralizes acids and is used in medicine to treat acid indigestion. It is also used in baking powders and effervescent drinks.

Reply to
Ben Valdevarona

Ken

Baking Soda and Bicarbonate of Soda are the same thing NaHC03. It is used in cooking as a leavening agent for breads, but to work, the mixture also has to have a acid. Baking Powder is mostly Baking Soda but it has several other ingrediants, most importantly is a dry acid as well. Baking Soda is used for many things like neutralizing acid spills on your car battery and keeping smells out of the fridge. Arm and Hammer is a major brand name for Baking Soda in the States, but not sure about the UK.

Hope this helps

Mike

Reply to
MQM107

Buy the December 2005 edition of "Model Rail" magazine. It has a whole article on producing snow using the "Scenic Snow" product from Deluxe Materials

This product isn't on their website yet, as it will be released in time for the Warley exhibition. Granted it's going to be somewhat more expensive than baking soda, but it looks very realistic indeed.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"MQM107" wrote in news:1131644589.636129.38870 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Ken,

I never used baking soda, but I belive the stuff is hygroscopic(?). It slowly takes moisture out of the air and will melt, like (icing)sugar and salt. This will eventually leave you with a diorama with a shiny surface.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong

OK, not bad if you want to make a dio wherein the snow's just melted.

I used Micro balloons once for a snow dio and that looks great.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Ken, others have answered the 'difference' question. Baking soda has lots of useful purposes. Settles the acid in your stomach when a little is mixed with water and drunk. Brushing your teeth to whiten them and remove stains for smoking (yuk!) although major prolonged use can remove the enamel on teeth. Many toothpastes have it in them. Absorbs moisture, cleans car batteries, absorbs smells from in the refrigerator as well as down the sink drain. My wife replaces a small box of it in our refrigerator, changes it once a month and the old one gets poured down the sink. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

I have *never* seen this happen. It is used quite frequently for "snow"; and I have seen dioramas, etc., which 20 years later, still look fresh. Remember, one of the primary "real" uses of Baking Soda is to freshen up ones refrigerator. Not a place known for its "lack of humidity". Boxes can stay in there for years, and still remain in its powder form. Another use is for brushing ones teeth; and I have had a box in the bathroom for years. It is still a powder, even though the bathroom is another place where moisture is present in abundance.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

If I understand it correctly, the idea is to use a white crystalline powder because it reflects the light better than Plaster of Paris or white paint. I've seen Epsom Salts recommended for snow effects and I can imagine that it works as well as any other. When it is mixed with water and drunk, the effects are most moving.

Alternatively, with Christmas approaching, you might look out for artificial snow amongst the Christmas decorations that appear in the shops around now.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Greg Heilers wrote in news:6QNcf.106$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

OK Greg, thanks

I stand corrected. It's just something that i thought I heard sometimes, somewhere. I never used it before and since then I just never used it period.

another lesson learned.

Cheers, Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Nothing to "correct". Baking soda *does* look like something that would "melt" as you described. It's just that I have never seen it, nor has anyone ever mentioned it to me. Super-Modeler Alex DeLeon (he of the scratchbuilt 1/16th scale Fokker D-VIII; which won "Best Of Show"

*everywhere* a few years ago) still has quite a few dioramas and vignettes that he totes around everywhere. These have baking-soda snow; and he did them almost twenty years...and they still look good. However, he also remembers to bring along a Ziploc baggie full of "replenishing snow" for minor touch-ups at each show/contest.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

One of the problems with snow dioramas is the collection of dust. Eventually the 'snow' will take on a 'dirty' tinge unless kept in a case. Kinda makes them harder to do on model railroads.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

Bill,

I remeber (from my years in the hobby shop) that BUSCH (germany based model railroad scenery producer) makes some crystal like snow powder.

I always thought it was too course for HO and the likes, but in 1/48th I think it could be nice.

I believe the BUSCH item # was 7171 or 1717.

Maybe any one of you railroad fans know some more??

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

"me-me" wrote in news:Xns970CB13058EF5memehotmailcom@213.75.12.135:

COARSE, that was the word I was looking for!

Reply to
me-me