Recommend a decent compressor with limited budget?

Hi folks,

I use an Iwata Revolution CR airbrush, but I only have cans of compressed air for it. I find what with cleaning the brush and spraying, I can go through a large 1000ml can in a few nights work, so it gets expensive.

I am now looking at getting a compressor. I found this one on airbrushes.com

Looks ok and cheap, but I notice it only does 10-18psi. I will only use it for models, so is this good?

There is another one on the site, which is about £50 dearer

does 1-35psi. Will I need that extra power though?

Thanks, Kev

Reply to
Kev Sparrow

I got the TC-20T (with the tank) as seen here:

I am very pleased with it and it cost under $200 with shipping (within US). Not sure what shipping over there would do to the cost.

Reply to
jwadetjpp

If you are on a budget, and UK based, you could do worse than visit your local Machine Mart

try :

to see the mini compressors - I use a Wiz with both my Badger 150 & 200 and find it more than adequate

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Consider a CO2 tank instead. Totally quiet, no need for moisture trap and no need for power. You'll have to get a full tank home -- the local constabulary might frown on doing that in your own vehicle. And you'll need two gauges on top, to step down the pressure. But it is SO much better than the noise and hassle of a compressor.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Along the same lines, here in the states its not difficult to find a portable air tank. Here's some examples.

You'll need to add your own regulator and filter but you can carry it to your local gas station and fill it up with air as needed. "Free" to refill!

The only gotcha I have found with refilling is that many service stations limit the pressure on their customer air device so that you can't fill an air tank to its capacity. Higher pressure can be found at a tire store.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

You will get much better results with a compressor, which will hold pressure constant. Propel cans do not- the temperature drops as you use them, and the pressure drops with temp.

Do you own your own home, and what is your workshop like? This is actually an important question. The reason I ask is it may determine whether you can use a general purpose air compressor (large, noisy), or whether you need a small compressor designed for airbrushes, which is small, and may or may NOT be noisy depending on brand and price.

GP compressors are cheapest, and do a really good job, but you may not have room for it. I keep my compressor in garage, and run a pipe into basement workshop through an adjoining wall. This is an ideal situation, but may be impractical for many.

Modern small GP compressors are available these days for about 70-80 bucks.

Kev Sparrow wrote:

Reply to
Don Stauffer