help with compressor!

Super glue works fine on neoprene. Can't say about other o ring materials.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

We do that with our molds, just cut and it is compressed when mounted in the machine. Wrks well in a relativel low pressure application of about 3 bar pressure.

There is also a special (expensive) adhesive for O rings so you can make your own. I don't know if super glue would work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ted, cut the ends as flush as you can and use some super glue. I am sure there is some special super glue for this .. perhaps Locktite 404 ... but I have had success with just plain old super glue. There are O-ring kits that come like that. Just a long length of rubber, a cutting jig, and some super glue.

William Lee

Reply to
WilleeCue

Actually, I don't think super glue will work with the type of rubber. Just cutting face flush should work fine after compression. DON"T cut them exact fit, cut just a micron longer for shrinkage. When compressing the rubber tends to pull apart at the joint. YOu could try a dab of Permatex RTV silicone at the joint. The high temp red that I have says "pressure resistant"

Rich

Reply to
searcher1

404 is the stuff. Expensive and short shelf life, but works remarkably well.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to
David Briggs

cyanoacrylate ester will not work on siliconized rubber gasket material it will dry up and crack off

Rich

Reply to
searcher1

It works very well. We've glued-up O-rings for years with CA.

Max

Reply to
Maxprop

Hello all, I have an air compressor that blew out the two different O-ring gaskets on the top of the head. One is shaped like a D or half moon, and the other is round. Problem is, I just received the replacement O-ring material, and it is about a two feet long red rubber cord. I was expecting them to be pre-fit. It is the same material as what was originally used. How do I join it together to make sure that no air blows out of where the O-ring meets up? Am I to assume that when the O-ring material is cut to the proper length and face off against each other, that the torque of screwing the metal parts together will compress the O-ring together to form an airtight barrier? Below is a link to a page on my site that shows pics of the top of the motor with the old blown 0-rings in place.;

. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
ted harris

"ted harris" wrote in news:c1os8f$1lqr4b$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-198726.news.uni-berlin.de:

as one poster stated, cut ends on a 45, and as another suggested, either red rtv or copper rtv, and remember, a small dab 'l do ya

Reply to
Anthony

Reply to
Dan Bollinger

"ted harris" wrote in news:c1os8f$1lqr4b$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-198726.news.uni-berlin.de:

Buy some big O rings (any good parts store, or even VCR drivebelts) and cut them down. Although you can buy reels of O-ring cord to make your own, these sets are huge and expensive (>$100) for a one-off.

For an O-ring used as a gasket, i.e. not a sliding or rotating seal, then superglue is an adequate adhesive.

Cut the ends square, not scarfed at 45°. Although a scarfed joint is probably better, it's much harder to cut. An accurate joint is better than an optimised one. If you do make scarfed joints, use a single-sided razor blade and a tiny mitre box (like an old tape splicing jig) to cut both ends together.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Dan Parrell