Snow Skis

Are there any good sites that show how to install snow skis on a plane?

Reply to
Blah

Have you considered taking off the landing gear and hand launching and belly landing? That gear is extra weight and drag on an rc, and on full size aircraft too, but those are especially diffucult to hand launch. I think if you set your motor up so it dies when you pull the trim all the way back at idle it should be manageable. You don't want to be on your belly with the motor on. Just a thought, I will probably be taking this approach when I get a gasser together, and all (two) of my electrics are belly landers.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Banks

I won't be doing ant belly landing. The plane is a .40 size trainer. I don't want to hand launch it.

Reply to
Blah

Reply to
jim breeyear

It would seem that fabricating small skis to attach to the stock axles would be relatively straight forward. Please report back with what you come up with!

--Randy

Reply to
Randy Wentzel

Shouldn't be a problem. One field I fly from is too rough for ROG so hand launch is the norm - regardless of model or power therein. Trainers - the high or shoulder wing variety are easy for solo hand launches.

Some low wingers are tricky as are some biplanes. In those cases, where two hands are needed to launch, I get a friend to do the necessary or leave that plane on the ground if no-one else is around.

Removal of the undercart can be a bonus but isn't entirely necessary if you can accept the nose over on rough terrain.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Reply to
Darren Earle

Here is a how to build Formica skis

Eric

Here are some pics of my Sig 1/6 scale Clipped Wing Cub on Dubro Skis:

m-m

Reply to
M-M

In Norway, we use snow skis all winter, and we usually make our own skis from glassfibre or ply. Ply skis is easy to make, and adds little weight. Have a look at my club's ski page;

The pictures should give you the general idea. Make the axle fitting a little behind the middle of the ski, or else the tip will sink down in the snow. You also need a secondary fitting to stop the skis from tilting too much. Flying with skis is not much different from flying with wheels, and as a bonus, you can almost always land into wind...

"Blah" skrev i melding news:cni57r$5ns$ snipped-for-privacy@coranto.ucs.mun.ca...

Reply to
Jon-Magne Johansen

My son made skis from aluminum sheet, about .050" thick. About

10" long by 1.5" or 2" wide for a 40-size airplane. Aluminum brackets bent up and riveted at about 60% of the way back for axle attachment, and strings from both ends to the fuse to limit the swing between tail-up position and tail-down (taildragger). Elastics on the front as well to pull them up level in flight. Very little drag; didn't slow the plane noticeably.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas