Hope someone can help answer this question

I have to install some new electrical outlets on a wall that is against concreate so there is very little space so a box won't fit in the wall. I know they have shallow boxes but I need a 4 outlets side by side. Can a wire be pulled out of the wall and a external box be used? is that safe and would it be code. if so what would be the best way to do it. If not does anyone have any suggestions??

I need Help!!!!

Reply to
Just Me

It may help to mention what Country/ State /Province /whatever you are in - from the time stamp on the message I guess that you may be in the USA or Canada?

Depending on where you are, more details may be needed - such as what circuit you are intending to wire these four outlets to, whether the outlets are interior or exterior to the property or are in a potentially hazardous space (eg bathroom, battery charging room, kitchen, magazine (lol) etc).

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Sorry I didn't realize that that info would be needed. A few years ago I ran a wire to a room in my house I use as a office it was 14/2 which was connected to a 20amp breaker in my sub panel in the basement in my house.

Now I plan to take the current wire which is connected to a 4 box with 4 outlets in that box, this is set in a sheetrock wall that divides my office and a bathroom. anyways I plan to take that wire and use a remove it from the current box and put a junction box there instead so I can extend the wire to the other side of the room which has that thin wall. I was wondering if I could just put the wire out of the wall and then wire that same wire to the same 4 box with 4 outlets to some kind of external box that I can leave on the floor behind my desk. I live in Minnesota, clay county

H> > I have to install some new electrical outlets on a wall that is against

Reply to
Just Me

Chipping the concrete is always a option. Probably not what you wanted to here.

Check out wiremold or walker duct. They both make surface electrical stuff.

Reply to
SQLit

The information was needed because this is an international=20 group and rules, regulations and methods for domestic wiring=20 vary greatly between countries. Even the terminology used=20 has significant differences.

Unless Minnesota uses the UK wiring regulations, I am sorry=20 but I cannot help. I shall read the replies from those with=20 more appropriate knowledge with interest though.

Sue

Palindr☻me

few years ago I

14/2 which was

in my house.

4 box with 4

divides my office

remove it from

can extend the

wall. I was

then wire that

external box that

Minnesota, clay county

Its enough more or less... first you cant put a 20 amp breaker on 14/2 wire its unsafe...get a 15 amp breaker or upsize the entire circuit to 12/2

You can buy deep metal boxes that have romex knockouts and champs in them located near the back edge of the box.

Get one that suits, up to 3 duplex outets a 2 x 4 x 6 box, cut yer hole.. drag the romex out, stick it into one of the romex knockouts.. put the box back in the wall. secure it with two screws though the back of the box into the wall... leave the front of the box stick out if it has to, since your wall is thin...install yer duplex outlets and cover plate.

If its in a bathroom you need GFCI recepticles if its in your office you do not unless there is a sink or whatever within arms reach (6')

size 14/2 copper wire is good for approx 12 amps continuous.. and you use a 15 amp breaker with it........ 12/2 is good for

15 amps continous load and you use a 20 amp breaker for that.

Phil Scott

message

that is against

fit in the wall.

by side. Can a

that safe and

If not does

etc).

Reply to
Phil Scott

What Phil is telling you is important, you cannot have a 14 awg (15a only) wire on a 20A circuit breaker, it will eventually burn out your wire & possibly your receptacle. so you must address that by ugrading your wire to 12awg which is good for 15-20A.You should have the gfci in the bathroom outlet circuit, but you don't need it in the office., maybe you should consider a different tap for the office recept. try the lighting circuit in the office space and see where it leads, what else is connected to it & how many amps available from breaker panel.

For The Extension Outlets: You can use metal/or plastic raceway (Bower,Wiremold or Panduit) they have extension boxes for the excisting outlet box and you can branch off to other outlet boxes with raceway and add as many receptacles as needed along the run. if you use the plastic type, include a grounding wire (3rd wire) from the originaing box to your receptacles.

But it is important to do something about the 14/2 cable you installed. it is not proper by code for the circuit plans you have and may pose a hazard if loaded beyond 15 amps, your breaker wil not trip while the wire is rated to carry only about 15amps., It may heat up and melt or burn before the CB trip ~ after >20amps has been compromised., if you plan on leaving it (which is a code violation) make sure you do not add up anything more than 15 amps in office equipment. Change it and through caution to the wind };-)

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

btw; the 12/2 is perfect for low wattage lighting but on a 15 amp breaker. if possible run up another cable for your outlets ~ 12/2 or

10/2 on the 20amp breaker. other than this, I've always used wiremold raceway, boxes and fittings for jobs as yours. =AE
Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Thanks for all the replies and concern for my safety but my safety is assured my mind is what needs help.........lol I was mistake I do have 14/2 on 15 amp breakers. I was going on memory and I was wrong. I decided to go with wiremold.