Can you ID this motor?

I'm new to electronics and thought I was working with a DC motor. The
reason I thought it was DC was becuase it was powered by a single AA
battery. After reading the information at
I'm thinking the motor I have is
actually a stepper motor. So, I bought the motor in question at a hobby
shop for 99 cents and looks similar to the motor pictured at this URL,

What type of motor do you think this is? Thanks for the help!
Reply to
Vinnie
That motor looks like a regular DC motor. A stepper motor will have several leads - your motor only has 2.
Also, if it turns continuously when hooked up to the AA battery, you know it is not a stepper. A stepper motor needs some kind of driver electronics to sequence the coils in a particular order. ( I'm sure others on here will correct me if I am wrong ! )
Hope that helps !
Reply to
pogo
This particular motor is surplus out of an HP printer, and is worth more or less 99 cents. People throw these old printers away because a new printer is so cheap these days.
It is indeed a DC motor.
-- Gordon
Reply to
Gordon McComb
bah, its not even one of the good ones with the encoder on it (the digital servo motors)
and they didn't include the linear encoder :(
dan
pogo wrote:
leads - your motor only has 2.
is not a stepper. A stepper motor needs