Brushless DC Motor

This was talked about deep in another thread. So I thought I'd make one
that was titled properly.
After looking at the brushed/commutator DC motor, I can now see have a
two pole brushless DC motor was considered a DC derivative. The brushed
DC motor did have a "controller" integrated into the motor. So the name
of a motor type does consider the controller, at least along this line
of evolution.
A lot of disagrams that try to explain motors in simplified ways can be
misleading. Look at:
you ever seen a magnet that is "all North" or "all South"? Of course
there is no such thing and the motor is not really built as shown. But I
wonder how many people might end up thinking there are such magnets when
they see something like this. It might seem plausible to some people to
just cut a bar magnet in half.
This site has a lot of cool pictures:

phil-news-nospam