brushless motor power supply

Is there any way to drive a brushless motor (AC power supply) other than spending a load of money on a ESC? easy with DC but AC is another k.o.f altogether,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

| Is there any way to drive a brushless motor (AC power supply) other | than spending a load of money on a ESC? easy with DC but AC is | another k.o.f altogether,

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Brushless motors are powered by three phase AC. There's no difference between a brushless motor and a three phase AC motor -- they're the same thing. A brushless ESC merely takes DC input and approximates a three phase AC output (but the frequency varies as the motor speed varies, which it reads via sensors (sensored) or by looking at the back-EMF produced by the motor (sensorless).)

As for powering it from one phase AC (like you have in your house), I don't know. I think you can power a three phase motor with one phase AC under some conditions, but at a loss of efficiency and there's a problem with getting it started. And of course the rotational rate will be probably be very low (and fixed!) if only powered by 60 Hz.

I don't see much of an alternative to putting together most of a brushless ESC to power your motor. (I say `most' because you wouldn't need the part that reads the servo signal, assuming you just want it running full-out.) Of course, you'd also need to rectify and smooth out the AC power ...

This wikipedia page --

is confusing, starting with the name, because it's NOT a DC motor at all! (They seem to explain this by making the ESC part of the motor, which I guess is a valid way of looking at it.)

But it does do a good job of explaining how they work.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The message from "Doug McLaren" contains these words:

Hi Doug, all a bit too complicated to be worth the effort then, was thinking on something for testing motors outside the a/c without a ESC, it is quite simple to convert AC to DC but wondered if it could be done the other way around but as you say it needs to be 3 phase and to make things that little bit more complicated I am in the UK where it is 220-240v and 50 ~,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

Plenty,. but they are all more expensive..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neither is a brushed motor a DC motor.

Its an AC motor with a sycnchronised mechanical AC convertor, called a commutator ;-)

Which sort of answers the original question.

"Yes, put a commutator and some brushes on it!"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Goedendag Terry (Dutch_101)

Use a drill/dremel to spin a second brushless motor, this will generate

3phase AC which/that in turn can power the first motor.

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren

14th.> Is there any way to drive a brushless motor (AC power supply) other than

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 35 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Ron van Sommeren