PC-aluminium interface

Hi all,
Does anyone know of an additive that can form a good interface between a
PC (polycarbonate) matrix and aluminium particles inside of that matrix?
The aluminium is there as contamination; particle sizes are in the
micron range. Of course the additive must be able to withstand
processing temperatures of 280-300 degrees, and should not influence the
properties of the PC too much.
Also I'd be very interested in how such an additive works.
Wouter.
Reply to
Wouter van Marle
I'm not sure what you mean by interface. It seems as if the aluminum is a contaminent, and you still wish to use the resin, you would want to ensure it is fully dispersed. There are distributive mixing designs availbale for feedscrews.
How much material do you have, and what is the percentage of aluminum found? Did you recieve this from the manufacturer, or is it reprocessed?
This is an interesting article....

L Alpert
It is indeed a contaminant; % I don't know, but I do know that it has a relative large surface area. Without any additive the properties of the polycarbonate are so poor, it is not useful. However I have an additive that improves the properties very much. I've learnt from a.o. postings in sci.chem that silane compounds work very well as bonding agent between aluminium and polymers in general, which silane to use of course depends on the polymer matrix.
This is for an industrial scale reprocessing process.
Regards, Wouter van Marle
Reply to
Wouter van Marle
Using a silane additive will work, though there will be changes in properties. There will most likely be an increase in tensile, reduction of elongation as well as changes in the thermal and electrical properties. As long as there are no negative performance problems for the components, other than potential process changes, you should be OK (good thing it isn't a medical application).
Good luck
Reply to
L Alpert
Titanate and Zirconate Coupling Agents from Kenrich Petrochemicals Inc.http://www.westnet.com/~kpiemm/ ought to do the trick. For more Info see
access you need to register ...
If color is not an issue you may also want to try a small percentage of one of those grey metallic color masterbatches, containing aluminum powder and/or flakes, from Eckart
"as compatibilizer", which I have not tried for this very purpose, however ...
Wouter van Marle wrote:
Reply to
Rolf Wissmann