Set up for TIG brazing?

Got hold of some brazing rod suitable for TIG brazing today, and wonder what settings I should be using? (totally in the dark on this one, so any advice much appreciated)

Reply to
gaspode

I'll try to save Ernie from saying it again this is from a previous post by him.

---------------------------------------- TIG Braze-welding uses the exact same motion at TIG WELDING. You are not flowing the bronze into the seam with a washing technique, you are laying in a weld bead using bronze.

So act just as if you are TIG welding, but use half the amps.

This will only work with Silicon bronze, Nickle bronze or Manganese bronze filler.

Low fuming bronze gas brazing rod will not work. Sil-phos can work, but it tends to flow too much.

No flux is used for this.

It is performed in a forehand "pushed" direction." Ernie Leimkuhler

Lane

Thanks Lane. I will add that I have since found out that Sil-phos bronze should never be used on steel or stainless steel. The phosphorus can cause intergranular fractures in ferrous alloys.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for that, but I need help with the actual settings of the machine (polarity etc) rather than actual technique. Sorry to appear so ignorant!

Reply to
gaspode

DCEN , 1/2 amp per 0.001" of thickness.

1/3 less amps for outside corners. 1/3 more amps for inside corners.

Silicon Bronze filler rod, argon or argon/helium gas shield.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

How about Aluminum bronze?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Aluminum bronze does work, but requires a little more care as to cooling. If it cools too fast it will crack.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler