Welding Helmets

Anyone know where I can get a welding helmet online, preferrable from a canadian site? My wife just started welding school and she wants a "Nice One". Thanks Bert

Reply to
Bert and Eileen Plank

I just ordered this one from their website.

Few days ago they told me over the phone that they were out of stock but at this price I can wait.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

It might be wise to wait a bit before spending the big bucks on a self darkening. You should be able to get a good quality flip front helmet for under fifty dollars Canadian. A brand name like Jackson will have a quality headband which will last and will be adjustable. Princess Auto or KMS Tools on the West Coast would be a good source. I am known for having a differing opinion but I have yet to work in a shop where any welder used a self darkening. I have however talked to a few welders who gave up after dropping the things or having them stolen. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Sorry, you misunderstood, never said it had to be auto darkening, just "nice". Nice looking?

Bert

Reply to
Bert and Eileen Plank

IMHO I do believe Metal Fiber makes a better helmet especially when it comes to the headgear portion. I never had great luck witrh Jackson headgear, but I do like their helmets. I just prefer a Metal Fiber headgear. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I dunno id Northern Tools goes that far north, but they have a Hobart auto helmet on the shelf for $99.

I amd sorely tempted...

Richard

Randy Zimmerman wrote:

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Well, so far I am pretty happy with the Western Safety helmet I picked up at Harbor Freight for about $60 and change. It is auto-darkening, and while the helmet itself is pretty cheap, the lens seems to work fine.

Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

I have a Miller helmet. They used a solar cell on it. It's a nice helmet, but I started getting flashed with it (it would go clear in the middle of welding - ouch). Miller replaced the unit with no questions under warranty, but I've noticed that their new models got rid of the solar cell and went to batteries. I've had both, but I think I prefer the battery units, although the Miller is great as long as it works.

I'd never go back to a nonelectronic helmet.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

Issues here are what kind of welding is being done and in what kind of environment. Sometimes the newbie must prove competence with antiquated technique to gain respect, may be even more true for a lady weldor in a shop populated predominately with male weldors.

Stick welding is easy enough to do with a head-nod. MIG and TIG can also be done with a head-nod but it should be obvious that precision welding with MIG or TIG is facilitated by an autodarkening helmet. It frees the weldor from having to maintain stinger position precisely while flipping a helmet down with abrupt motion of about 10 pounds of head with neck muscles reacting against inertial body mass, while holding the stinger in position. That can't be done perfectly, though practice helps. Point is, why practice and develop a skill that isn't necessary when there are plenty of other skills to develop?

Reply to
Don Foreman